Chapter 3

Forestkit had been raised in the medicine den. Since her mother, Starfur, was one of the two medicine cats of EchoClan, she had spent most of her time here. And in that time, she had begun to harbor a deep interest in herbs and healing. It was her biggest wish to be able to train as a medicine cat.

    Even her mother seemed to realized it. "You're practically my apprentice already!" she had said one time after Forestkit had helped her with sorting herbs. That had made the little kit glow inside.

    Her littermates, Amberkit and Sapphirekit, had never been interested in what they described as a 'musty job for musty cats.' Though they'd never say it around their parents.

    Forestkit hoped they didn't think she was a musty cat.

    She was in the medicine den now, watching the sun rise over the camp in anticipation. Today, her and her littermates were six moons old. Today, they would be named apprentices.

    Her paws worked anxiously on he ground, wondering wether or not she would be made a medicine cat apprentice. She sure hoped she was. Her mother knew though, didn't she? She knew how intrigued she was by the art of healing, what with her always sticking around the den, helping out in any way she could. She didn't know what she would do if she was made a warrior apprentice.

    But she was out of time to worry.

    "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather beneath the Echostone to hear my words!" Stonestar had climbed to the top of the the boulder in the center of camp and yowled for everyone's attention.

    "Ready?" Starfur was behind her.

    Forestkit leapt to her paws. "Yes!" she said with a smile.

    Her father was standing close to the Echostone with her brother and sister and Forestkit bounded forward eagerly to join them, he mother trailing slightly.

    "Are you excited?" Sapphirekit asked, her tabby striped tail waving behind her erratically.

    "Are you kidding? I think this is the excitedest I'll ever be!" Amberkit said with a large grin.

    "'Excitedest' is not a word." Sapphirekit was quick to correct.

    Forestkit just shook her head and let out a little laugh.

    "They're all grown up now," Starfur said to her mate when she had caught up to them.

    Darkmoon gave each of his kits a look of pride. "Not yet, they have a while before they get their full names."

    "I want to be deputy like you when I grow up!" Amberkit said.

    "Is that a threat?" Darkmoon laughed. "I'm sure you'd be an amazing deputy."

    "And I'll be leader." Sapphirekit preened. "Then Forestkit can be medicine cat."

    Forestkit couldn't help her grin. Wouldn't that be cool?

    Any further conversation from the family was interrupted by Stonestar. The rest of the Clan had gathered and the leader spoke once again, "Cats of EchoClan, today we name three new apprentices." He leaped down to the front of the crowd.

    "Amberkit," he called her brother forward first, and he quickly obliged. "From this day forward, you will be known as Amberpaw." He assigned Mousesqueak as his mentor and the two of them bumped noses. Next up was Sapphirekit, and she was apprenticed to Sparrowfeather. With a glance at the nursery, Forestkit wondered what Violetkit wold think about that arrangement.

    And then it was her turn. "Forestkit," Stonestar began. "You have reached the age of six moons and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day forward, until you receive your full name, you will be known as Forestpaw, and since we don't normally give new apprentices to their parents, your mentor will specifically be Dandelionheart."

    Yes! I'm going to be a medicine cat! she thought ecstatically.

    Her new mentor came forward to stand beside her. He was small for a full grown cat, but his eyes shone with wisdom and happiness.

    "Dandelionheart, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Starfur, and have shown yourself to be patient and loyal. I hope you will pass down these qualities to Forestpaw."

    Dandelionheart bent down and Forestkit and him touched noses, the latter smiling brightly.

    "Amberpaw! Sapphirepaw! Forestpaw!" the Clan chanted their new names and Forestpaw saw her parents gazing at them proudly from the front of the crowd. Happiness washed over her and she could tell her littermates felt similarly. Amberpaw stood with his chest puffed out, while Sapphirepaw held a more calm demeanor.

    When the cheers died down and the cars started retreating, their parents came over to congratulate them.

    "I hope you won't give your mentors too much trouble," Darkmoon said in a mock stern tone, eyes glinting.

    "Last time I checked, you were the one giving Burrowpelt trouble," Sparrowfeather said jokingly, grinning at the deputy.

    "I seem to remember a slightly different version of that story," said Darkmoon. "Maybe I shouldn't have let Stonestar give my son to you."

    Everyone laughed, and then Sparrrowfeather said, this time to the apprentices, "Are you three ready to explore the territory?"

    "Yes!" Amberpaw jumped up excitedly.

    "Are we leaving now?" Forestpaw asked.

    "Why not?" Mousesqueak said. "Let's go."

    "Have fun!" Starfur called father them as the six cats set out toward the forest.

    Forestpaw waved her tail. "We will!"

    Sparrowfeather and Mousesqueak led the way out of cam while Dandelionheart hung back with the apprentices.

    "We'll probably find some herbs along the way," he told Forestpaw. "I'll show you how to collect them."

    "Ok!" Forestpaw said, although she must have sounded too excited about a seemingly boring task because she saw Sapphirepaw roll her eyes.

    I don't care what she thinks, Forestpaw decided. I'm going to be the best medicine cat ever!