Chapter 16

Violetpaw could feel Amberpaw watching her as she settled down to sleep. Don't worry, she thought. I'm not pulling anything tonight.

    It wasn't long before she opened her eyes again to see the familiar dark trees shrouded in mist. Arcticpaw was also there, talking with Viperfang, white pelt gleaming amongst the shadows. Violetpaw hurried over.

    "What are we doing today?" she asked.

    "You and Arcticpaw may practice some more battle moves together," Viperfang told her. "I have a mission tonight."

    Violetpaw knew she shouldn't ask, but her interest was piqued. Arcticpaw beat her to it though.

    "What's the mission?" she asked.

    Viperfang glared. "I don't need little apprentices intruding on my private business." Taking on a more formal tone, she added. "There's a slight technicality I need to take care of. Have fun while I'm gone." Before either Violetpaw or Arcticpaw could say anything else, she faded from view.

    They stood in silence for a few moments before Violetpaw broke it by saying, "We should get started then."

    Arcticpaw nodded. "Um, I'm not really sure what we should practice."

    "I can show you a few things," Violetpaw offered. "I don't think we were quite up to par when we were team fighting, so we can practice that."

    "Ok." Arcticpaw nodded.

    Violetpaw began a demonstration of a more defensive move, and Arcticpaw mastered that fast, and they moved on to another. Viperfang still wasn't back.

    "You know, we should really meet in real life to practice," Arcticpaw said. "Without Viperfang, I think we do a lot better."

    Violetpaw looked thoughtful. "I think you're right. How about we meet at the river tomorrow night?"

    Arcticpaw didnt get the chance to respond, as Viperfang reappeared in front of them. Violetpaw noticed the blood on her claws.

    "Having fun?" Viperfang asked.

    "Uh, yeah," Violetpaw said.

    "Hmm, well, that will be all for tonight," she said. "See you two tomorrow."

    Violetpaw saw Arcticpaw wink at her right before she was jolted out of sleep. I'll take that as a yes.

***

Violetpaw didn't have a problem sneaking out of camp.

    All the apprentices were fast asleep so she just rose quietly from her nest and and exited the den. The guard wasn't hard to sneak past; she found a hole in the bramble wall. She noticed it had clumps of brown fur stuck to the thorns. Someone else must've used this tunnel before, but a long time ago, since there was no scent on it.

    Once outside, she made her way down to the river. It sloshed rhythmically as the waning moon cast a faint glow on it, turning it silver.

    Looking more closely, Violetpaw could see a shape moving by the shore. Arcticpaw.

    She bounded forward to meet her new friend. "I'm here."

    "Violetpaw!" Arcticpaw's blue and amber eyes lit up at the sight of her.

    "So, we can practice that one move that goes like this,"—Violetpaw did a roll and sprang up—"I know you were having trouble with the landing."

    Arcticpaw nodded. "Yeah, is there a better way to do it, or do I just need a bit more balance?"

    "Obviously, practice makes perfect," Violetpaw said. "But if you dig your claws in a little more, you want wobble as much. Try it," she suggested.

    Arcticpaw rolled forward and when she sprang up, she sank her claws into the ground in a decent stance. "Like that?"

    "That was much better," Violetpaw told her, almost feeling weird for directing an older apprentice, but Arcticpaw didn't seem to mind.

    "Ok, let me try it again, and then I wanna do it in a mock fight," Arcticpaw nodded. Violetpaw nodded, and the white apprentice rolled again, her posture better this time.

    "Alright, I'm going to swipe at you, you'll duck away, roll behind me, and attack me from behind. Sound good?"

    Arcticpaw nodded and she crouched down, waiting for Violetpaw's attack. She too went low and wasted a few moments before lashing out a paw, Arcticpaw promptly dodged and rolled so fast she was a blur in Violetpaw's peripheral vision. And she felt a swipe at her tail and she whipped around.

    "That was really good," Violetpaw complimented.

    "Thanks." Arcticpaw smiled.

    Splash!

    Both apprentices turned their heads unanimously toward the river to see a pale gray tom rise from the waves. He walked up the shore towards them, shaking droplets from his fur. That's Fogbreeze, Violetpaw thought, forcing her legs not to run. What's he doing here? What are we doing here? She had to think of an excuse quick.

    "Oh, this brings back memories," the medicine cat said, smiling slightly, although his eyes looked pained at the words. He focused his attention on the Violetpaw and Arcticpaw. "What brings you two out here tonight?"

    Violetpaw took advantage of his non-hostile tone and said, "Oh we just happened to bump into each other, and then we started practicing some moves."

    Arcticpaw just nodded. Real helpful.

    Fogbreeze laughed a little. "You're not in trouble, and I won't tell the leader's, but, Arcticpaw, I am going to have to send you home."

    The white apprentice dipped her head. "Of course. Bye, Violetpaw." She waved her tail before dipping into the water.

    Fogbreeze didn't follow her immediately, he just stared up at the sky, and Violetpaw thought he looked rather reminiscent.

    "I'll just be going now," she told him awkwardly, starting forward.

    "Wait," Fogbreeze said, raising his paw. "Don't go yet, I'd like to talk with you." He flicked his tail over the spot next to him and she sat down.

    He stared up at the sky again before looking down at her. "You're Burrowpelt's daughter right?" he asked. "Burrowpelt and. . . Sparrowfeather's daughter?" He seemed a little uncomfortable saying her father's name.

    "Um, yeah." She wasn't sure why he was so interested in her parents. And then she suddenly remembered her mother's brother mentioning him the other day. "You started getting them after you met him." Dandelionheart had said. He'd been referring to these 'visions.' But what did they have to do with Fogbreeze?

    "Do you know my mother?" she asked.

    Fogbreeze sighed. "I thought I did. But she walked out on me. And then I guess she found someone else. . . ." His words faded into a whisper and Violetpaw felt a chill go up her spine.

    You loved her, Violetpaw thought. But Burrowpelt knew that you couldn't be together because you're from different Clans.

    "You know," Fogbreeze said. "You remind me so much of my sister, Purpleshade. Your eyes look just like hers."

    Violetpaw went stalk still at this, the little seed of doubt planted.

    Fogbreeze didn't seem to notice her alarm. "Anyways, we both need to go back to our camps." He gave her a little smile. "Tell your mother I said hi?"

    "Uh, sure." Violetpaw backed away quickly. Someone is lying to me. I have to get to the bottom of this.