Chapter 18

Violetpaw had just got back from hunting with her mentor when she saw Sparrowfeather basking near one of the stones on the edge of camp. She stared at him for a moment, before setting aside one of her prey items and put the rest on the pile. She hurried over to him.

"Hello," she said, a little awkwardly. It felt like she hadn't spoken to him in moons.

He jerked up at the sound of her voice, and she winced at his reaction.

"I—I brought you this." She laid the sparrow at his paws.

Her father stared at her for several heartbeats before saying, "Thank you, but I just ate. You can take that to the elders."

Violetpaw couldn't hide her disappointment. "But I caught it for you," she said quietly.

"I don't want it," he told her, and turned away.

"Why are you still mad at me?" Violetpaw burst. "You know I wouldn't have done it on purpose. I-I. . . . I just want my dad back. . . ." Violetpaw had never felt more emotion in her life than she did in this moment, and she was shocked by herself. I'm being weak, but I don't care.

"Well," Sparrowfeather hissed. "You should have thought of that before you went and murdered my apprentice. I don't know what is wrong with you, but that shouldn't have been impossible. If you think that you are still my daughter, you can think again. I'm not sure why I let Burrowpelt talk me into this. . . ." That last part was whispered more to himself, but Violetpaw still heard it.

Grabbing the sparrow, she turned and fled, out of camp, out of reach of anyone. She was aware of cats watching her, but she didn't care.

Why did I think he still cared about me? Violetpaw thought miserably. Why did I think he had gotten over Sapphirepaw's death already? Now I've ruined any relationship we had. It's all my fault.

Don't weep, kitten. A voice whispered in her ear, and Violetpaw looked around wildly. You don't need him, or anyone.

"I don't," she said aloud, and taking the sparrow, she ran her claws through it's neck and ripped the head off.