Chapter 9

A full moon glowed in the sky above as EchoClan approached the Gathering Hollow. Violetpaw felt her excitement build at the prospect of seeing the other Clans. And Stonestar would be announcing her and the other apprentices in front of everyone there.

    Phoenixwing was beside her, making no move at conversation, appearing happy with the silence. Violetpaw held back an annoyed grunt. Sparrowfeather was always giving reassuring words to Sapphirepaw, Mousesqueak was always chatting happily with Amberpaw, despite her quiet nature, and of course Dandelionheart loved nerding out about herbs with Forestpaw. Why couldn't she get the same attention? Phoenixwing just didn't want that mentor-apprentice bond she guessed.

    I don't want it either, she tried to convince herself.

    Violetpaw tried not to get to worked up over something so small. She'd only been an apprentice for a few days. It still hurt though, watching her father and Sapphirepaw being so happy while her mentor just sat in silence, hoping that Violetpaw would just figure herself out.

When they reached the Gathering Hollow, cats were already there, and another group arrived shortly after EchoClan. Violetpaw gazed around at the lively place, wanting to bound around like a kit, but at the same time wanting to curl up at her mother's paws in fright. You will not be doing either of those things here, she told herself sternly.

    She held her head high and walked with poise with her mentor through the sea of cats. She saw Amberpaw flitting about joyously, while Sapphirepaw strutted alongside Violetkit's father, trying to look as impressive as possible. Forestpaw walked with Dandelionheart in quiet awe of everything around. Violetpaw tore her gaze away from them. Don't focus on them.

    Stonestar sprang up beside a brown tom and a silver tabby on a fallen oak tree in the middle of the clearing.

    "That's Barkstar and Willowstar," Phoenixwing offered, leaning down a bit.

"I know," Violetpaw said. She hadn't. But the lie had come so easy.

    Phoenixwing nodded and focused her attention back to the leaders.

    "FernClan is prospering this greenleaf," Barkstar said. "We welcome Cloudpaw as a new apprentice, mentored by Lashclaw." There were shouts of his new name, but Violetpaw couldn't bring herself to join in.

    Stonestar went next. "We welcome four new apprentices into our midst today, Amberpaw, Sapphirepaw, Forestpaw, and Violetpaw."

    "Amberpaw! Sapphirepaw! Forestpaw! Violetpaw!"

    Pleasure at her name being echoed amongst the warriors warmed her and the smile that spread across her face was big and genuine.

    Violetpaw didnt pay attention to Willowstar's report, instead, she got up from her spot beside her mentor, and began pushing her way to the back of the crowd to explore the rest of the Hollow.

    "Psst!"

    She whipped her head around to see a dark brown tom, who looked a little older than her. "What?"

    His eyes watched her playfully. "You're one of the EchoClan apprentices, right?"

    "Yes," she said, but she didn't offer her name.

    "I'm Tarantulapaw," the tom said. "The other apprentices are going to have a little competition, wanna join?"

    Violetpaw paused. "Sure," she agreed and followed him to a circle of apprentices. Amberpaw, Sapphirepaw, and Forestpaw were also there and they gave her both a smirk that she ignored.