Chapter 12

Forestpaw sat with her head bent toward Sapphirepaw's still body, memories of her sister flashing through her head. When she used to tease her for always being in the medicine den, when they played and Sapphirepaw would always let her go first at throwing the moss ball. Staying up late at night to watch the patrols come back, their first time hunting when she proudly caught more prey than she could carry.

    "I'm going to miss you, Sapphirepaw," she whispered chokingly.

    "Me too," Amberpaw said, who was sitting close to her.

    The two remaining littermates pressed close together, mourning their sister in silence.

***

The next morning, when the vigil was over, the elder's were sent to bury the body, and Forestpaw watched from the medicine den as they took her away. This was the last time she'd ever see her in this life. She looked up at the sky, wondering if Sapphirepaw was watching from StarClan. Maybe she'll visit me at the next half-moon meeting, she thought hopefully.

    "Forestpaw?" Her mother said from behind her. "Are you okay?"

    "I will be," Forestpaw murmured.

    "You'll see her again," Starfur said. "Come on, Dandelionheart and I are going to collect some more herbs, do you want to come?" She sat down next to her daughter and rested her tail comfortingly over Forestpaw's shoulders.

    Forestpaw shook her head. "No, I'll stay here."

    "You should take a nap then, okay?" Starfur suggested, "You look like you need it."

    "Ok." She knew she wouldn't be able to fall asleep. And she had other things to do.

    Her mother gave her an affectionate lick on the ear before retreating into the den. She emerged a moment later with Dandelionheart and they set off toward the forest. Forestpaw watched them go, the same way she watched the elder's carry her sister's body, before shaking herself and heading toward the apprentices den.

    Violetpaw was stretched out on the moss of her nest in an otherwise empty den, and she raised her head at Forestpaw's entry.

    "Good morning," she said in whisper, looking away again.

    Forestpaw narrowed her eyes at her sister's murderer. "Why did you do it?"

    Violetpaw looked baffled. "Do what?"

    "You know what I mean," Forestpaw growled.

    The dark tabby tilted her head. "No. . . ?"

    Forestpaw took a step closer and hissed. "Why did you kill my sister?"

    Violetpaw's eyes softened and she lowered her head. "I didn't mean to, Forestpaw. I know you're mad at me, but it was an accident, I swear."

    Forestpaw was slightly taken aback, and she stared in silence. Was it possible that it had been an accident and Forestpaw was actually just overthinking this?

    She was still suspicious though.

    Not wanting to make a scene, Forestpaw just nodded and backed out of the den. She made her way back to the medicine cat den, thinking hard about Violetpaw's response. She seemed genuinely guilty, but Forestpaw knew she was a good liar from having to grow up with her. She'd lie about how much food she'd had or lie to get Forestpaw's littermates in trouble.

    Violetpaw wasn't off the hook yet, at least not in Forestpaw's mind.