Chapter 21

Forestpaw let her brother groom her before the half-moon meeting that night. He had been more protective of her than usual and she suspected it had something to do with Violetpaw and her mysterious attacker.

"Just promise me you'll stay safe?" Amberpaw said. "I don't want to lose another sister." He sounded a little choked up, so Forestpaw gave him a reassuring lick on the nose.

"I promise," she said. "Besides, the Star Hollow isn't dangerous."

Amberpaw nodded and gave her a small smile. "Ok."

"Forestpaw! Time to go," she heard her mentor call to her. She bade her brother farewell and bounded over to where Dandelionheart and Starfur were waiting.

"Swallow these," Dandelionheart said, passing her the usual herbs. She obliged, and they set off toward the Star Hollow.

***

The half-moon hung high in the sky when they arrived at the Startree, and the medicine cats settled down in the crook of the roots.

Forestpaw closed her eyes and waited for sleep to come. It wasn't immediate, but a few moments passed and she opened her eyes to a star filled clearing. A gray tabby she-cat sat waiting for her, and she bounded over to meet her.

"Hello, Meadowstar," she said.

"Forestpaw, a great danger is coming, you must be prepared. I've tried my best to stop it, but she's just too strong." Meadowstar's eyes were closed in concentration and her voice was strained.

Forestpaw blinked in confusion. "What is going on? Who's too strong?"

Meadowstar didn't reply, and Forestpaw tried again. "Meadowstar, tell me! Please!"

"Oh, I'll tell you," a voice, not Meadowstar's, said, and a shiver ran down Forestpaw's spine.

"Don't you dare!" Meadowstar hissed. "Get back to the Dark Forest where you belong!"

"Why should I, Meadowstar? After all, I was't the one who set a pack of vipers onto a cat."

Forestpaw looked at her questioningly, but the StarClan she-cat was focused on the disembodied voice.

"I wasn't the cat who killed her own father," Meadowstar responded. "You got what you had coming."

The strange cat chuckled. "Always playing the hero."

And the she appeared before them, a skinny brown she-cat with diamond shaped stripes and gleaming green eyes that had a snake-like appearance.

"Goodbye, Meadowstar," she said, and the gray she-cat vanished, along with the starry clearing, replaced by a haunted looking forest with thin and twisted trees.

"Who are you?" Forestpaw whispered shakily.

"Your new best friend," the she-cat said with a evil smile. "I'm Viperfang, welcome to your new home."