Chapter 7

Violetkit's mother seemed more excited than her about today and she wasn't really sure how to take that. Because today she was getting apprenticed. Today was the day she'd been waiting for for moons, the day she'd dreamed about since Sapphirepaw, Amberpaw and Forestpaw got to be apprenticed.

    "Come here, you need to look perfect for your ceremony," Burrowpelt said, dragging her toward her. Violetkit didn't say anything, just let her mother groom her to her hearts content.

    "Aren't you excited?" Burrowpelt asked.

    "If course I am," Violetkit answered.

    Her mother didn't reply, but concern radiated form her body. Deal with it, mom, Violetkit thought.

    Sparrowfeather came in, face alight. "Who's getting apprenticed today?"

    Violetkit smiled at the sight of him. "That would be me," she said.

    "Oh, of course." Sparrowfeather leaned down and nuzzled her. "C'mon, let's go; everyone's already gathered."

    "But I haven't finished," Burrowpelt said, staring dismally at Violetkit's coat.

    Sparrowfeather swiped his tongue over his daughter's ears, making her laugh. "She's good now."

    He led the way out of the den, Violetkit following, more thrilled now that it was actually happening. Everyone was gathered around the Echostone, and their eyes watched her as she and her parents made their way to the front.

"Oh look, it's little Violetkit," Sapphirepaw jeered as they passed.

    Violetkit raised her head stoically and ignored her. Just wait till you see way at I can do, she thought.

    "Today is an exciting day," Stonestar said. "The day for the making of a new apprentice." He leapt down to stand in front of Violetkit. "Violetkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Violetpaw. Your mentor will be Phoenixwing. I hope she will pass down all she knows on to you."

    Violetpaw watched as a ginger she-cat stepped forward, eyes glowing.

    "Phoenixwing, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Oatwhisker, and and I expect you to pass on all you know to Violetpaw."

    Phoenixwing leaned down and touched noses with her new apprentice. "I'll do my best," she whispered.

    Don't worry, You wont have to do much, Violetpaw thought. I'll be a warrior before you know it.

***

Violetpaw had thought life as an apprentice would be more exciting, but the first thing Phoenixwing had her do was collect moss and clean out the elders den.

    She tried to relax and just focus on the task. If you do this well, Phoenixwing will let you do more exciting stuff.

    As she dragged the old, dirty moss out of camp, she saw her parents chatting happily by the warriors den. Hmph, I bet mom's happier now that she doesn't have to be in the nursery with me.

    Drawing her attention back to the moss, she exited camp and dumped it in a muddier area as her mentor had directed. On her way back, she passed Sapphirepaw and Amberpaw sitting by the prey pile, laughing heartily.

    Violetpaw instinctively drew a paw over her face. Is there dirt on me? Oh wait, they're not paying attention to me. Lowering her head, she made her way back to the elders den and finished up in there before going to report back to Phoenixwing.

    Her mentor was talking with Scarletpetal and Violetpaw cleared her throat to get her attention.

    As she dragged the old, dirty moss out of camp, she saw her parents chatting happily by the warriors den. Hmph, I bet mom's happier now that she doesn't have to be in the nursery with me.

    Drawing her attention back to the moss, she exited camp and dumped it in a muddier area as her mentor had directed. On her way back, she passed Sapphirepaw and Amberpaw sitting by the prey pile, laughing heartily.

    Violetpaw instinctively drew a paw over her face. Is there dirt on me? Oh wait, they're not paying attention to me. Lowering her head, she made her way back to the elders den and finished up in there before going to report back to Phoenixwing.

    Conversation appeared to cease at her arrival and Violetpaw was beginning to wish she'd just waited for them to leave. Would they think she was weird if she just stood up and walked away? Or was it weirder that she was just sitting here staring at her prey?

    "How was your first day out?" Lilypaw asked, breaking the silence.

    Violetpaw looked up, staring for a few moments before replying, "I didn't really go out."

    "Oh, well thats too bad," Sapphirepaw said, and the way she said it made Violetpaw wanted to claw her face.

    "Me, Sapphirepaw and Forestpaw went to explore right after our ceremony," Amberpaw boasted.

Even the dumb little medicine cat apprentice went to explore the territory first thing, Violetpaw thought angrily. She gulped down the rest of her mouse and trotted over to the apprentice den. She chose the nest closest to the back and laid down, hoping her shadowy mentor would come to train her.

    And her eyes popped open moments later, taking in the red tinted forest.

    "Violetpaw, is it now?" Viperfang said with a smirk.

    "Yes, but I receive better training here anyway," Violetpaw said. "Phoenixwing had me clean out the elders den."

    Viperfang scoffed. "I don't see why they can't make the elders clean out their own den."

    "Right?" At least someone agreed with her.

    "Anyways, today you'll be learning something more advanced," Viperfang told her.

    Violetpaw's interest was piqued. This was exactly what she needed

    "It's called," Viperfang said grandly, "The killing bite."

    Violetpaw tilted her head. "How is that helpful?"

    "You've only defeated your enemy once you've killed them," Viperfang explained airily. "Don't you have enemies to defeat?"

    "No?" But Violetpaw's mind immediately went to Sapphirepaw, training with her father. "Maybe," she conceded. "But I don't want to kill them. I just want them to shut up and leave me alone."

    "Isn't death the best way to shut someone up?" Viperfang asked sweetly.

    Violetpaw didn't answer.

    "Good, now, it goes a little something like this. . . ."