Chapter 5

"It's time to go, Forestpaw," Dandelionheart said, offering her a herb bundle.

    "What's in this?" Forestpaw asked, sniffing.

    "Sorrel, daisy, chamomile and burnet," Dandelionheart said. And then he answered her next question before she could ask it. "And we're going to the half-moon meeting tonight so we can properly present you to StarClan."

    "Oh!" Forestpaw had forgotten. Excitement begin to flood her whole body, along with some nerves, even though she knew the experience would be fine.

    "Well, you'll be the one presenting her to StarClan," Starfur said to Dandelionheart, coming up to them. "She's your apprentice after all."

    "Right, of course," Dandelionheart said, sounding a little embarrassed. "Eat your herbs now, Forestpaw."

    She obliged, swallowing them and ignoring their bitter taste to the best of her abilities. And then she followed the two senior medicine cats out of the camp as they began their journey to the Star Hollow.

    At the halfway point, they met up with the medicine cats from BrookClan.

    "Now, who have you got there?" one asked, Forestpaw thought he looked like the older of the two.

    "This is my apprentice, Forestpaw," Dandelionheart told him. "Forestpaw, this is Oceanwave and Fogbreeze."

    "Hello, Forestpaw," Fogbreeze said with a gentle smile.

    "Hi," she replied shyly.

    After the introductions, the group of medicine cats continued to walk, meeting up with the FernClan medicine cat, Dawnlight, and then finally arriving at the Star Hollow, a grand forest with shimmering white trees that illuminated their path in the semi-darkness.

    "Woah," she whispered aloud.

    "Beautiful, isn't it?" Dandelionheart said.

    "Yes," she agreed, unable to tear her eyes away from the breathtaking scenery. She could practically feel the magical aura of this place.

    "Just wait till you see the Startree," her mentor said.

    But she didn't have to wait long, for they arrived at the stream that encircled the clearing and stepped over it. Now they stood in front of the largest of the shining trees, tall and looming, but in a way that made Forestpaw feel safe and protected.

    "Forestpaw," Dandelionheart said, jolting her back to reality. She turned to face him as he continued. "Is it your wish to enter the mysteries of StarClan as a medicine cat?"

    This is it, she thought. "It is."

    Dandelionheart smiled. "Warriors of StarClan, I present you with this apprentice. She has chosen the path of a medicine cat. Grant her your wisdom and insight so that she may understand your ways and heal her Clan in accordance with your will. Welcome, Forestpaw!"

    "Forestpaw! Forestpaw!" The other cats cheered.

    "Now, let us share with StarClan," Starfur said, and they laid down among the roots of the mystical tree. Forestpaw found it surprisingly comfortable.

    She closed her eyes, only to open them moments later, transported to StarClan's hunting grounds.

    "Greetings, Forestpaw," a cat said and she turned around to see a starry, gray tabby she-cat, green eyes beautiful and welcoming. In fact, Forestpaw thought she looked like an older version of herself.

    "Hi," Forestpaw said, tilting her head slightly. And then her curiosity got the better of her and she asked, "If I may ask, why do you look like me? I mean, you do, look just like me." She thought she sounded a little stupid, but Meadowstar just gave her a soft smile.

    "Well, little one, I am your mother's mother, Meadowstar," she said. "I was pleasantly surprised to have a granddaughter who looked so liked me. Although I am surprised I had a granddaughter at all."

    Meadowstar! Forestpaw had heard some cats mention her, how she was the leader before Stonestar and had died tragically of greencough. She had known of her grandmother, but never dreamed she would ever meet her in StarClan during her lifetime.

    "We're you disappointed in her for having kits?" she asked.

    "I could never be disappointed in Starfur," Meadowstar said, seeming a little surprised by the question. "She has proven herself to be loyal to her Clan and her duties. And Darkmoon is a fine cat."

    Forestpaw nodded, satisfied with her answer.

    Meadowstar glanced at the sky before saying, "It is time for you to return to the Star Hollow," Meadowstar said. "Until we meet again, Forestpaw. May your path be forever guided by StarClan." And then she vanished from view.

    Forestpaw blinked awake, breathless.

    "How was it?" Dandelionheart asked from beside her. He was the only other one awake, everyone else was still dozing peacefully.

    Forestpaw sighed happily. "Amazing."