Chapter 8

Foxflame and his sister left camp after receiving some traveling herbs from the medicine cats. They were on their annual visit to the Town to visit their father.

He had asked his mother if she had wanted to go, but Phoenixwing had refused, saying she'd promised Violetpaw they'd go and explore the territory today. But he suspected it was more than that.

When Aster returned to his housefolk after the flamecough outbreak and the Rogue Battle, Stonestar had given him and Lilacsnow permission to visit their father a couple times a moon. Phoenixwing had gone only when they were still apprentices, but when they were named warriors, she stopped accompanying them. Aster had been sad at first, but now he just didn't ask why she wasn't there, just accepted it and gave his full attention to his kits.

They seemed to be getting faster each time they went, finding new shortcuts each time, and their legs were more accustomed to the outing, and soon they arrived at Aster's housefolks' den.

Their father was waiting for them and eagerly leapt down his wooden post to greet them. "Welcome! Welcome! Do you want some food? You must be hungry." He always offered them food, but Foxflame and Lilacsnow always politely rejected, although it had been tempting last leaf-bare.

"No thanks," Lilacsnow said kindly. "We ate before we left."

Aster didn't seem to mind. "Oh, maybe next time." But he definitely knew they wouldn't accept next time either, Foxflame hoped he knew at least.

"How are things in EchoClan? How are your apprentices?" Aster asked instead.

"Really good," Foxflame said. "Their training has been going splendidly."

"That's good to hear," Aster said, and then his voice lowered and he averted his gaze. "How's Phoenixwing?"

Foxflame was a little taken aback, and he could tell his sister was too. They shared a glance before Lilacsnow said, "She's been doing really well, actually. She even got a new apprentice yesterday."

"Oh." Foxflame felt pity for him. He was obviously disappointed that the cat he thought had loved him didn't want to see him anymore.

"We'll see if we can get her to come next time," Foxflame said, hoping he could uphold that promise. "She's been really busy lately." Not completely a lie.

His father brightened a little at that. "Alright. Well, I did have something to tell you," he said. "Ah, what was it? Right. I saw some cats passing through recently, thought you might be interested. They were those rogue cats, but there were some new cats as well."

Foxflame's eyes widened. "They're back? After all these moons?"

"They must have news recruits," Lilacsnow said. "They're probably planning to attack again. Thank you for telling us. We should probably get back and report this to Stonestar."

"Now? You just got here!" Aster said, disappointed.

Now Foxflame felt even worse for him. "We really should go now if we want to make it back before nightfall. We'll come see you again soon, with Phoenixwing, alright?"

Aster sighed. "Ok." He smiled. "I'll see you soon then."

***

When they arrived back at camp, at around dusk, they went straight to Stonestar. He was laying outside his den with Honeyflower and raised his head at their approach.

"I hope you met no trouble?" the leader said.

"No, not us," Flamesnow said, and he told him about Aster's report

"Aster was right before," Stonestar said. "So I'm inclined to trust him again. But they could just be passing through. Still, we'll keep a watchful eye. Thank you, you two. Now go get some rest."

"Of course, Stonestar," Foxflame said, and he and Lilacsnow dipped their heads respectfully before heading off to the warriors den for some sleep.