The Ball

The castle was magnificent. It stood tall, dark and regal. I didn't know there was something like this here in New York.

"So your idea of fun is taking us to a creepy castle" Jenna glared at her sister, who looked confused.

"This isn't what I thought it was, the picture I saw online was nothing like this."

"It's beautiful."

"Yeah if you're dead" Jenna was still glaring at Stacy.

"Jenna don't be rude" Stacy looks towards the driver.

The driver is looking straight ahead and as the car makes its way down the long driveway. The car slowly makes its way to the entrance. Someone opens the door and we get out. Wow this place is even more beautiful up close. We are shown inside and it's filled with people.

"It's really crowded in here" I don't like being around a lot of people.

"Thank you all for coming. I know everyone is eager to get started. Please enter the ballroom and find your seats. After everyone is seated we will begin."

I don't know where that voice came from. I look around the entrance area. Everyone is making their way to the ballroom. I lose track of Stacy and Jenna. Why does everyone have to push forward all at once? This is why I hate large crowds of people.

Once I'm in the ballroom I look around for my friends. I see them near the bacak. I head over to them.

"There you are I thought we lost you" Stacy looked relieved to see me.

"Where do you think we should sit?"

"On the train back to the city" Jenna was looking around as if she were paranoid.

"Come on we came all this way" Stacy guided her to an empty table while I followed.

I noticed that only the people from the train were sitting in the section we were in. The other tables were taken by people who were all very well dressed and most of them were wearing jewelry that shined in the light when they moved. I couldn't even make out any of their faces. It was as if they were covered in a veil or a shadow even though the room is very well lit.

Once everyone was seated a very tall, pale thin man stood up and went to a podium. The room went very quiet. It was now so quiet it was scary.

"Welcome to you all. I am happy to see so many new faces here tonight" This man's voice echoed through the entire room. "Some of you may know that this is only the beginning of a six month journey. If you are rejected you may try again when the next Ball takes place. There are many clan leaders here tonight. Over this weekend they will speak to each of you. The ceremony for the chosen will be on Sunday evening. If you are chosen, you will leave with the leaders of the clan you have been accepted into. If you have not been chosen you will return home on the train. Tonight is the beginning of the festivities. It is a night to mingle and get to know one another. If any of you decide to change your mind and leave you may do so at any time. If you are not on the train by four a.m. tonight you will have to stay until Sunday evening. Now we shall commence with the first dance of the evening then dinner will be served. After that the ball will continue on into the night. For those of you wishing to dance please stand so a partner can find you."

I wonder what he is talking about. I decide to stand but Jenna pulls me back down to my seat.

"Jenna, what is it?"

"This place is giving me creepy vibes. I don't like it, I want to leave."

"But we don't know what's going on yet and why they accept and reject people."