TWENTY-TWO

"Miss Cortes?" Tony called.

"Hi," she gave a tiny wave, entering the SUV.

  The SUV parked in front of a skyscraper. She got down from the car and looked up she couldn't even see the top. It had "Mayer's house" written on it. She didn't know he owned a place this big in California.

   "Let's go," Tony prodded.

"Oh okay,"

  As they passed through the foyer, she saw women dressed in corporate clothes, all looking prim and elegant while the men mostly in suits looked smart. They stopped in front of an elevator with a sign on top that read 'private'. Tony swiped a card on the scanner and led her into it a few seconds after the elevator dinged open.

"Mr. Mayer is waiting in his office," Tony says, directing her to a door.

  "Thanks, Tony." she smiles, walking into the office, closing the door quietly behind her.

"Yeah, okay, reschedule the meeting for tomorrow morning." Kim stood.

He faced the floor-to-ceiling window while he talks to someone over the phone.

  "Hey," she says, forcing a smile the moment he finished his call and turned to her.

"I'm sorry, something urgent came up."

"You're leaving, aren't you?" She didn't hide the disappointment.

  "No, I'm not," he chuckles, coming closer to her.

  "Oh, okay," her eyes wandered.

"What's wrong?" He asks, looking at her with an intense gaze.

  "I-I you know, I just realized I haven't been to your workplace before," she stuttered.

  "Yeah," he looked around.

"But you have been to mine several times now. Including today."

"Should have brought you here sooner. I'm sorry," Miran brushes a tendril of hair from her face.

"It's fine... I was just saying."

"Alright, we have to go."

"Go? Where?"

"Hawaii," He says, cooly like he just told her about the morning weather.

  "What?" Kim stepped back, his hands leaving her. "What do you mean?"

"I should have told you," he ventured when he saw her expression.

  "Miran!" Kim yelled, "You can't keep doing this. I have a job. I just got back from UAE a few days ago."

"I don't want to leave without you." Miran came closer,

Kim sighed, "I'm not mad but you shouldn't keep those from me!" She wrapped her hands around his neck, giving him kisses on his face.

  "You aren't?" He signed with relief.

"Is that why you were at my workplace?"

  "No,"

"Why then?"

"I just became a major shareholder," His face was blank.

  "What?"

  "That's why I said it's business."

"Why invest in love hospital?" Kimimela asked curious as to why he would want to be involved in a hospital or is it.....

"Because I want to?"

  "Are you sure? You sure it's not because of me?" She cocked her head and stared at him suspiciously.