7

The look we shared when I looked at him showed both of our thoughts. Like he could read my mind, his mouth opens to speak. "Do you want to play in the rain?" The way he spoke seemed to rattle the bones in my body. It felt as though something clicked. The click that makes me smile. Right on time, the smile appeared on my face, followed by a nod. "Yeah, I do."

I sit up from the bed, the ruffled covers falling off my body. He mimics my actions and continues to crawl off the bed. A thump on the tile signaled he had fully made his way off the bed. I rip the blanket completely off my figure, throwing to the side. I slide across the tile to make my way to the front door. Karl's behind me, laughing at my sudden energy to get outside. The door flies open, revealing pouring rain on the concrete below our feet. 

I run out of the house, instantly struck by the cold rain. Water pours down my face and my hairs fall out of place. The door slams, followed by a barely visible Karl, setting towels and blankets down on the small porch. He runs down the steps happily and a small smile resides on his face. His hands meet my waist, pulling me in close. Pulling back, one of his hands stay on my waist, the other on my hand. He twirls me around as I laugh. 

Our antics continue well into the night, until the rain stopped. He leads me inside. wrapping a towel around my soaked body. His hand on my back, he leads me to my bathroom so I could shower. He turns the water to where I like it best, pulling away as the water hits his hand. He stares into my eyes for a minute, and honestly, it's like I can see the whole world in them.

"The water should heat up in a minute, alright?" I nod at him slowly. He smiles back at me before turning away to my room. I want to grab him, pull him back, but I can't. My hands and my mouth won't move or open. I sigh, removing my clothes. Cold air strikes the already cold skin, leaving trails of goosebumps all the way across it. 

My body meets the water, instantly warming it. Yet, I'm still frozen. I want Karl back in here. Or do I? Maybe I just don't want to be alone. Thoughts cloud my head and my vision, instantly blurring the world. The room goes black, and suddenly the water on my skin is gone. 

I'm gone.

***

"I'm telling you, Mr. Jacobs, we found nothing wrong with her. We've done every test in the book, multiple times, and she's fine. No pregnancy, no drugs, nothing's wrong with her blood, no aneurysms, no cancer, no clotting. There's no signs of a stroke or heart attack, her veins aren't junky. We did not find any internal bleeding. I mean it, I'm sure she's fine."

"100% fine? Are you sure she's 100% fine?"

"Completely. When she wakes up, I'll run another test or two to make sure she's ok, and then you'll be on your way. You have nothing to worry about, Mr. Jacobs."

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see him nod. "Karl," he says to the doctor. The doctor smiles under his mask. "You have nothing to worry about Karl." He nods again, then the doctor leaves the room. Karl sighs and runs his hands through his hair, eyes catching on me. 

"Oh my God, you're awake." I want to wave at him, but my hands won't move. I open my mouth to speak, and a barely audible hi comes out. "Hey, baby. You feel, ok?" I nod, clearing my throat. I look around the plain room to see I'm back in the hospital. "What happened?" I whisper. He strokes my head with his hand, sucking in a deep breath. My hand finally listens to my head, grabbing onto his wrist. Tears I didn't even know were in his eyes began to fall, getting soaked up by his mask. 

"I left the bathroom, so you could shower, 2 nights ago. You got in the water, and less than a minute later, I heard a thump on the floor. I walked in and saw you out on the floor. You didn't wake up. I tried everything and it didn't work. So, I called 911, and they came and picked you up. Nothing is wrong though, you're alright."

I can tell in his eyes that he doesn't believe what he said, I was alright. We both knew it too, no words had to be said, but we both knew that something was definitely wrong. We both knew I wasn't alright. It was like a death note. Inescapable, inevitable. Nobody had to say it. But we both knew. 

"It scared me, so much."

"I know."

"Sage," he says, trying to savor the name. 

"Yes?"

"I mean it. It scared me. I thought I had lost you again."

"I know," I said. He takes deep breathes, turning away from me to calm down. "I felt that something was wrong though." He looks at me, almost stunned. "Why didn't you say anything about it?" His words are small, like he's scared of the answer. "I couldn't speak. I was frozen."

He looks at me like he's about to cry again. I know for a fact he's cried a lot in the last few days, and that it's all because of me. "Promise me you'll tell me when something's wrong, or if something feels off." I hold my pinky up to his, intertwining them. "I promise."

He smiles at me. "I'll get the doctor. I want to take you home."

***

karl :) ✓    @KarlJacobs_

taking a quick break from streaming and stuff guys! 
i love all you beautiful humans sm!

💬 1.2k     🔃1.7k     🤍42.6k

***

I find it funny how I've been in and out of the hospital twice in a week, and there's still 'nothing wrong' with me. 

Karls hands rest on the steering wheel ahead of us, and I quickly realize we aren't driving to my house. "Where are we going?" "My house. I don't want anything to happen to you when I'm not with you, and I need stuff. I asked Chris and Chander to grab your stuff from your house, which happened to be all your clothes and toiletries. I hope you're okay with staying with me for a bit. I also need to stream from time to time. I actually enjoy it now. I've made lots of friends, you'd like them. Speaking of, I have a friend flying down in about 2 weeks."

"Okay," I mumble out, turning towards the window. 

"You alright?" He asks, pulling the car into his garage. I nod, still facing the window. My hands move to unbuckle my seatbelt, but Karl's hands stop me. "Sage, you promised you'd say something."

"Nothing is wrong, but I don't feel right." I manage to huff out the words, turning back to face the boy. "How?" he asks. The word drips from his mouth like honey. It seems so smooth, so genuine. "I'm not sure. I have a gut feeling that something bad is going to happen."

"Nothing's going to happen. Alright?" I mumble an okay, removing the belt off my body, turning to enter his house.

(A/N)

i'm sorry for all the time skips lmao. i didnt rly know how to continue the chapter when the last one literally gave me no hope to write

also i finally figured out the plot so hopefully i actually finish this book. like legit the last book i wrote, i loved sm, then i just lost plot bc i didn't know where to go w it. so i deleted it but i kinda wish i didnt bc i loved it so fucking much.

anyways, i hope u enjoy this book. drink water, eat a snack, and sleep well!

🤍🤍🤍