𝐎𝐍𝐄

LYRA

The staff spun between my fingers fluently as I slowly moved my feet across the mat. One of my closest friends, Harley stood on the other end with the same weapon in her hand.

We both glanced over at Clyde and he nodded his head. I looked back at Harley then tilted my head slightly before rushing towards her, swinging at her. She quickly brought the staff up, blocking it then pushing me away and we both began rushing at each other with attacks.

I spun around, hitting her in her side, causing her to stumble back. She took a deep breath then spun her staff, looking back at me. With a small grin, I signaled for her to come at me.

And she did with no hesitation.

Staff up, she swung at me and I quickly crouched down in a lunge to swing at her legs. She jumped over it and I fell back, bringing my staff up to block her hit. Harley looked at me with a grin, pushing down harder.

With a groan, I brought my feet to her stomach and pushed her up, dropping her behind me. I quickly stood up as she slipped up, spinning the staff in her hand.

"One of us has to pin the other eventually," Harley said with a grin.

"Of course," I replied, smiling. "And you'll be the one getting pinned."

"We'll see."

Once again, our staffs collided with each of our attacks. I glanced at Clyde every now and then and he was watching us intently, analyzing every move we made. With a low grunt, I kicked her down then jumped on top of her, holding the edge of the staff against her neck.

"I win," I said, smiling.

Harley huffed, dropping her staff down beside her. I stood up and grabbed her hand, pulling her up to her feet. She held my hand tighter and I shook my head with a smile as we did our handshake, ending it with locking our pinkies.

"Good job. You two have improved since last month. Though, it could be better," Clyde spoke up, walking towards us.

"Better how?" I asked.

"For starters, Harley's defense was off. You left too many openings for Lyra to get to you."

"I'll do better next time, sir," she replied.

"And Lyra, you're too slow. With your laziness, you could easily get knocked or killed by an opponent. You need to work on that," he told me, turning my away.

"I will," I said with a nod.

"Training is over. Same time a month from now."

We both nodded and Harley followed me towards the wall, placing our staffs back up. She threw her arm around my shoulder and walked out the door with me, humming to herself.

I grabbed my jacket that was hanging on the outside of the door and held it by my side. Harley took her phone out of her pocket, quickly texting while whistling.

"Noah's waiting for us at your place. Want to just head there?" She suggested, putting her phone away.

"Yeah, that's fine. You brought a bag of clothes so you can shower right?" I asked, walking out of the building.