𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

LYRA

My entire body ran cold when my mother uttered those words.

Her hold on my hand was the only thing keeping me grounded. I stared at our intertwined hands, feeling the fingers on my right hand begin to twitch.

Clyde did it. He was the cause of all of it?

"Lyra... baby," Mason gently called from beside me. "You okay?"

Was I? I think I was far from okay, actually. I wasn't sad, upset, or disappointed. At least I don't think I was. 

I couldn't look at him. I couldn't look at any of them. Slowly, I let my hand slip from my mothers before rising out of my chair. 

"I-I need some air," I muttered, standing up and walking out of the room.

I raked my fingers through my hair once I made it out of the room, inhaling deeply. Once I made it outside, I shut the door and leaned against the wall, gripping my hair. 

When I closed my eyes, that's when every emotion to my knowledge racked through my body. Every fiber in my being felt like it was on vibrate and it took everything in me to hold back the sob threatening break out of me. 

"Fucking hell," I gasped, wiping my eyes. 

Would he have even helped me if I had asked him to? Or would he have told me it was a waste of time? They could've died if it wasn't for him, and he continued to smile and act like I was his daughter. But he had this huge secret the entire time. A betrayal. 

When looked down at my hands, they were still trembling. I held them tightly against my chest and rocked myself back and forth while short, quick breaths slipped from my lips. 

I just couldn't understand. My brain couldn't comprehend. My body reacted before my brain could. The look of regret and pity on my mom's face when she told me. She felt bad for me, no doubt. I bet they all did. None of us saw it coming, but it hit me the hardest out of everyone in there. 

Then it hit me. 

Was Clyde the one that sent those threats to Mason? The reason Mason left for three years. Why I hardly have any information under my name? He did everything in his power to keep me from finding out about any and everything. 

Hiding Isaac should've been the first sign.

"Lyra?" 

I turned my head towards the front door where Mason was standing, more worried than I expected. He shut the door behind him and crouched down, gently taking my hands in his. 

"I guess I don't need to ask if you're okay?" He asked, kissing my knuckles. 

"That obvious?" I snorted, leaning my head back. "I should've seen it coming." 

"None of saw it coming. But... I am sorry that it's unraveling like this." 

"So am I. Not easy to hear that the man that raised you is also the one who ruined your life," I chuckled, moving my head to his shoulder. "What do I do?" 

"Unfortunately, I don't have the answers, baby. Look, why don't we go back inside, get you some water, and talk to your mom, yeah?" Mason suggested, tilting my head up to look at him. 

I nodded, taking his hand and letting him help me up. 

"Mason!" 

His name came out in a yelp as he threw me over his shoulder, carrying me inside. I didn't even bother to complain, but instead laid there like a corpse. He let out a quiet chuckle and made his way to the kitchen where he gently put me down onto the counter.