𝐓𝐄𝐍

LYRA

The pain I felt was indescribable. Thank god the curtains were closed, or I swear it would've been hell. My hand was killing me and I didn't want to move my body in no way possible.

"Fuck," I muttered, bringing a hand to my forehead and groaning.

Opening one eye, I glanced down at the sheets and gathered the strength to open my other eye.

This isn't my bed.

I looked around then down at the clothes on my body, confusion running through my head.

"What the hell?" I whispered, slowly sitting up. The note on the nightstand caught my eye and I sighed.

That never ends well.

After a bit of hesitation, I grabbed it and rubbed the sleep from my eyes before actually reading it:

I'm making breakfast for you, sleepyhead. Come down when you're ready. It's time we have that talk, sweetheart.

So much for me not leaving the bed, huh?

I threw my legs off the edge and slowly stood up and stretched my arms while strolling out the door. My hand went to the railing and I quickly walked down, the smell of food flooding my nostrils.

"And the queen awakens," Mason announced with a small grin. "Come on, I got your plate right here."

I shook my head and walked over to the table, sitting in the chair Mason pulled out for me. He placed it down in front of me along with a glass of water.

"You feeling alright after last night?"

"Yeah... just a headache. We didn't..."

"No, no. You showered and went to sleep when we got here, that's it," he said, sitting beside me.

"But I kissed you, didn't I? That part... I remember clearly," I muttered, picking up a piece of bacon.

"Yes, you did," Mason chuckled. "But that's all that happened."

I stuffed my face, as a way to prevent myself from saying something else stupid. It was a bit of silence while we ate but it didn't stop Mason from looking at me every now and then.

Just by looking at his body language, something is on his mind. I don't want to push it but I am curious and just a tiny bit nosy.

"Mason, if you want to say something, then say it," I budged, glancing at him.

"It..." he sighed, sitting back. "It isn't that simple."

"What makes it not simple?"

"Everything, Lyra. It means I'd have to explain everything," Mason muttered, finally looking at me. "Who knows if you're actually ready to hear it."

Did it really matter? I've been wondering all this time why he did what he did... I guess I can finally know.

"I've been waiting for three years... Don't you think I waited long enough?" I asked him, beginning to pick at my food.