Chapter 1

"Ashton, the patient in 27 window needs pain meds," the nursing assistant mentioned quickly to the nurse as they passed in the hallway.

"Ugh, doesn't she always," Ashton sighed, rolling his eyes at the small smile on the girls face. That patient was always asking for pain medication as soon as it was time again.

Ashton had been a nurse for seven years, having finished nursing school by an accelerated program. It only took 3 years for him to complete his BSN and he was offered a job immediately following at the hospital he currently was in. The 28 year old was grateful for the job he had. His coworkers were all right, a bit needy, but nothing he couldn't work with. The pay was amazing, he was constantly getting merit raises for just showing up and doing the bare minimum--although he did pitch in more than his fair share and help when overtime was needed.

This hospital was one of the best in Connecticut. It had received 'magnet certification' three years after Ashton started. Magnet meant it was certified by the American Nurses' Credentialing Center to have a higher level of care from the doctors and nurses. It was an amazing thing, and took years to achieve. They'd had week long celebrations when they were granted the cert, and Ashton was proud of where he worked.

He reached up to hold his badge, swiping it in front of the scanner to unlock the door to the medication room. The med room was a small closet off the nurses station. The door was locked, only the nurses and higher ups having access to it, just so that no one was able to go in and steal meds without permission.

He punched in his four digit code--his boyfriends birthday--which unlocked the drawer so he could get the appropriate medication. Samantha had back surgery so she was due for oxycodone and the muscle relaxer, which she always took as soon as she was able to.

Upon retrieving them, he exited the room, holding the door for Maria, one of the senior nurses and went to 427 with his computer.

"Hey, Sammy, how's your pain? Melody said you wanted your meds?"

Sammy sighed, long and drawn out, like she was suffering.

"Yeah," she gasped. "I'm having spasms like mad, and I can't handle this anymore. I'm so uncomfortable,"

"What's your pain from 1-10?" the nurse asked, retrieving the scanner from his computer cart and scanning the patient ID bracelet as well as the medications. Before administering any medication, the patient ID needed to be scanned as well as the barcode on the drug to ensure the patient didn't receive the wrong medicine.

"Probably like a 10," she groaned, tensing up as another supposed spasm wracked her body. She loved to complain, but Ashton knew she acted up when the staff was around to get more meds. She'd been in the hospital previously and had abused medications for years. She got high levels of pretty major meds right off the bat because she had a high tolerance.

"Okay, you can have a 15 of oxy, and I have a muscle relaxant which should help the spasms,"

"Oh, yes, that's what I need," she moaned, brown eyes opening wide at the mention of the meds Ashton had in his hand. He double checked the label, a habit of his (even though it got scanned and appeared on his screen) before opening the tablet and dumping the two pills into a small medicine cup.

"Can you tell me your name and birthday?" Ashton asked. That was another policy of the hospital: 2 step verification. Before medication was administered, food was delivered, blood sugar was taken, or anything official, the patient stated their name and birthday to make sure the right patient was getting the right treatment.

"Samantha Buffet, 12/3/76," the woman droned, having repeated that phrase over 50 times in the three days she'd been there. It got old fast, and she was eager for her meds.