Chapter 3

Ashton wasn't the best person in the world, but he also wasn't the worst. He was somewhere in the middle ground, where he sometimes did good things, like helping his patients above and beyond what he needed to do, but he also hated people sometimes.

    Like this nurse he was buddied with that shift.

    There were only four nurses on the floor for 32 patients, giving them each 8. That was a lot for them, but they were so understaffed, it was like that more often than not. Ashton had one half of the hallway, and stupid-ass Calum had the other.

    Ashton hated Calum.

    He thought he was so great, with his sweet smile, happy temperament, and overall bright attitude. The man was almost as tall as Ashton, just a few inches shorter, and had warm brown eyes that the female patients always cooed over. And don't get him started on that god-awful curly mullet on his stupid fucking head.

    Calum was everything Ashton hated in the world.

    "Ashton, you doing okay?" The perky dark haired boy asked as he walked past the other nurse. They were buddies that day, so they were supposed to help each other when needed. Ashton would rather die than ask Calum for help.

    "I'm fine," he snapped, continuing to chart on Samantha. She was supposed to be weaning off her pain medication by now, but she was still asking for it every 2 hours. She wouldn't walk around like she was supposed to, begging for pills instead and it was getting on Ashton's nerves. He was writing a note in the chart and was going to call the doctor to see if he would come talk to her. She was going to end up with pneumonia if she didn't start doing the things she was supposed to.

    "Okay, just let me know if you need anything. My patients are all okay for the moment, so I'm going to sit over here and chart! You want to join me?" He asked, pointing his thumb at the nurses station where there were some vacant computers.

    "No."

    Calum sighed, waving even though he was ignored by the brunette.

    He didn't know what Ashton's problem was. The man was so nice to the patients, and then the second he left their room, he was a completely different person. There were some nurses that he tolerated, like Megan, one of the part time nurses. Ashton had been working there a long time, it would be nice if he would help Calum out, but the curly haired boy knew that wasn't likely to happen.

    Maybe it was because he was a travel nurse. Calum didn't work in just one hospital, he was essentially floated around to all sorts of areas that needed help. He'd been at this hospital for 4 months, his time there drawing to a close in another 2 months. After he was done, he'd get a new assignment and go someplace else in the country. This was his 4th year doing travel nursing, and he enjoyed it, although it often took a while for people to warm up to him. For some reason, they looked down on him, which he didn't know why. He was there to help them, but it was the same every place he went. They didn't truly appreciate him until it was almost time for  him to go. Most of the people here had been friendly pretty quickly, with the exception of Ashton.

    Calum supposed it didn't matter if everyone liked him. He was almost friends with Tony and Michelle, the two of them had gone out after their shifts a few times for drinks and food. They didn't talk outside of that much, but they were friendly when they worked together, which was nice.

He couldn't complain too much about what he was dealing with here. He just felt drawn towards the tall brunette for some reason. He wasn't exactly sure why, but he knew there was something special about him, and he wanted to know what.

    If only the man would let him in...

***

Poor Cally 💔 who's volunteering to be Calum's friend since Ashton is being a dick? 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️ anyway, this chapter is very short, so I'm going to post the next one too. Happy birthday!! :D lol

~ashtonfortherwin