Chapter 6

"What would you rate your pain on a scale from 1-10?" Ashton asked for the millionth time that day. Sometimes things got a bit tedious, but there was nothing like the thrill of Helping someone with their True Goal to get him feeling good about himself.

He, Luke, and Michael weren't malicious people. They didn't kill people just for the fun of it (okay, maybe once or twice they'd offed someone who wasn't super old and on their way out, but that's only if they acted horribly to the staff or disrespected someone in an unforgivable way. They weren't missed, honestly.) But usually they stuck with the patients who should be dead, but were kept alive to suffer. They were bringing peace to these people, finally ending their pain. It was a good thing, so he didn't feel bad about what they did. They were only doing what other people were too scared to do.

They'd been Helping patients like that since they got together. Once Ashton started dating Luke, and then Michael later on, they'd talked through some things and realised they could all help each other help others. It was just convenient that they all had jobs that would help them with their cause. Ashton was obviously the one who administered the medication, but Luke was the one who switched the actual medication with the one that was going to kill the person. Often it was something they were allergic to, but just in the bottle with the label of the proper medication. That's where Michael came in, because if there was any suspicion and an autopsy was needed, Mike was there to fudge the results and make Ashton blameless. For 5 years it had worked well, and no one had any suspicion.

They planned things perfectly.

Ashton finished giving meds to all of his patients except for the one who was about to be murdered. He still had to visit Luke to get the final thing he needed for the plan.

"Hey, I'm running to pharmacy to medicate 35, and then I'm going on my break," Ashton told Megan.

"Oh, can you get my Zofran for 31? Margaret Leonards?"

"Sure, no problem." Ashton took his phone from his computer before making his way to the stairwell to get to pharmacy. He was excited to see Luke and get the "new and improved" medication. The day had been draining. Ashton was tired. He really did enjoy what he did, but sometimes it got to be a lot. Everyone needed a little break, and he hoped this was what he needed to brighten his spirit.

"Hey, baby," Ashton leant against the counter when he arrived at pharmacy, a smiling Luke greeting him.

"Hiya, Ashy! How's your day?"

"Fine, better now that I can see you,"

"Ugh, barf," Luke's coworker Sean gagged. "Loverboy, you've got orders to fill, stop flirting with the nurses,"

Luke rolled his eyes.

"What did you need, love?" he asked.

"Just Zofran and the Carbamazepine. The Zofran is for Megan's patient, the seizure meds are for mine."

"Great, let me see if it's been filled."

Ashton nodded, stepping back to let someone else be helped as he waited.

"Here you go!" Luke came back a few moments later. "I filled this order myself, babe."

"I'm sure it's extra special then," Ashton winked, leaning forward to give Luke a kiss.

"No PDA in front of the kids!" Sean whined, slapping his hand over his eyes in disgust. "It scares us,"

Ashton chuckled.

"Don't worry, we'll finish this off at home,"

Luke gasped and glared at Ashton as he winked and laughed, walking away as Sean dropped to the floor, fake-fainting at the thought.