Chapter 24

"You sure you're ready, sweetheart? You don't have to do anything you don't want," Luke said sleepily as he walked Calum to the door.

    Calum rocked back and forth on his crock-clad heels.

    "No, I'm sure! I'm ready. I can't wait to get back and realize my true purpose," he grinned excitedly. Luke chuckled and couldn't help pressing little kisses all over his face. "Lukey!" he whined, pulling back to protect his hair that he'd spent close to half an hour fixing up earlier.

    Today was Calum's first day back at work and to say he was excited was an understatement. After doing nothing for almost 2 months, he couldn't wait to see people and get back into a routine. The most exciting thing was the fact that he was going to be Helping people now.

    "Lu, stop smothering him. Let him go and have a good day, Sunshine," Michael rolled his eyes. "You'll do great, baby, just listen to Ash and everything will be fine," Michael gave him a kiss, throwing his arms around his shoulders and staying away from his hair. He knew Calum was really trying to put out a good impression. He was a bit anxious that Jack would be upset that Calum had been off the grid for 2 months, but when he called up to say he was hoping to come back, the man couldn't have been more excited.

    "Thank you." Calum smiled. He gratefully accepted his lunch bag that Luke handed him and stood by the door. "Ashy, let's go! I want to get there early so I can go to Nursing Ed and make sure my login still works,"

    "I'm coming," Ashton groaned, rushing through the kitchen and into the dining room with only one shoe on and his jacket only through one arm.

    "He's a mess," Michael shook his head. "I'm going to help him,"

    Michael and Luke were off for the day, but they woke up to see Calum and Ashton off and help them get ready.

    "Are you ready for this?" Luke asked, leaning on the counter and looking at Calum. The dark haired boy shrugged.

    "'M a little nervous. What if people ask where I was, or why I left?"

    Luke scoffed.

    "Tell them it's none of their damn fucking business!"

    Calum stared wide eyed at his outburst, and Luke relented, walking over and holding his hand.

    "I'm sorry, love, I didn't mean to get angry. I just can't stand the thought of someone being mean to you." Calum melted at how protective Luke was of him. He wouldn't have expected that from Luke, he seemed more of someone who liked to be protected and babied like Calum did, but if anyone hurt someone he loved, a new side of Luke showed up...and it wasn't good news for the other guy.

    "It's okay, Lukey, I know I'll be fine."

    Luke smiled, cupping his cheek.

    "I know you will, too. You tell me if anyone gives you a problem, Cal." The man rolled his eyes, but Luke tightened his hold on his hand. "I mean it, you're ours now, baby. No one gets to be mean to you and gets away with it."

    Calum's knees felt weak, but he managed to keep standing.

    "Okay, I'll tell you. Thanks, Lukey."

    "You got it, sweetheart. Now, you have the best day ever. Be the best nurse you can, and I'll be waiting for you tonight with a...special surprise," he winked, making Calum's face heat up.

    "Ready, Cally?" Ashton walked into the room, finally looking presentable. Michael trailed behind him, admiring Ashton as he strolled around the room in his scrubs.