Chapter 11

"Okay, Calum, anything you want today is on me" Ashton said as they walked through the gate.

    Michael decided he wanted to go to an amusement park. 6 Flags had just opened in Jersey for the season, so they decided to make use of their season tickets (Michael was obsessed with roller coasters) and go. They'd also asked Calum if he wanted to join them, and since he happened to be off on the day they were going, he said yes.

    Things had been much better with Ashton and Calum. Although he was still a bit wary Ashton was only being nice to him because Michael and Luke asked him to be, he was being nice, and nothing he did seemed insincere. Calum was still cautious around his coworker, but he was so lonely, he was willing to risk it, especially since Michael and Luke really did like him.

    "No, it's okay, I can—"

    "Listen to the man, Cally! Ashy's buying all day," Luke laughed, snatching Calum's hand and running toward the first ride. They'd shown up a bit before the gates opened so they could be first in line to some of the rides. If they got on a few at opening with no lines, it wouldn't bother them too much when they had to wait later in the day when it got crowded.

    Ashton and Michael shared a look and chuckled, jogging to catch up with the others. They got to the first one of the day, the Joker, one of the newer coasters and got on line. Only four people were before them, so they were able to get on the next cart.

    "Do you like roller coasters, Cal?" Luke asked, having let go of Calum's hand when they got to the line. Instead, Luke grabbed Ashton's, swinging their arms lightly back and forth as they waited for the three people in front of them to board their cart.

    "A bit, I'm not a super big fan of the really flippy ones, but there's some I like," he said, watching the people before him step into the ride.

    "Next in line," the guy called. There were 4 carts on this one, with harnesses that went all around the persons chest and legs. Calum was in front, so he walked over, showing the man his empty pockets, and sat down.

    "Cal, I don't think—" Ashton started, but Michael shushed him.

    "Maybe he'll like it, don't freak him out before it starts," Micahel hissed quietly. This new ride was apparently exactly what Calum said he hated, but Michael hoped it would work out. Calum was already buckled before they could do anything else about it.

    Ashton shrugged, buckling himself into the inward facing seats, settling down next to Luke, across from Calum, with Michael next to the dark haired boy. He liked that they'd be able to all see each other, provided they didn't have their eyes clenched shut.

    "Are you ready?!" Michael cheered.

    "What does this one do?" Calum asked as he looked up, only just realizing what he signed himself up for. They hadn't waited in line long enough for him to examine the ride.

    "It flips around and goes up and down around this little track," The worker said absently, waiting to send them. Okay, you're off!"

    Calum started to scream as the cart lurched backwards, sending them hurtling upwards. Once they got to the top, Michael whooped for joy as momentum pushed them forwards, causing the cart to flip around repeatedly as it went around the figure-8 shaped track.

    The ride was over before it felt like it even started, Michael thought. It was less than 30 seconds, but it was epic and he felt that rush as they came to a stop and the buckles unlatched.

    "That was great!" he cheered, high-fiving Ashton as they walked off the platform to the exit. Ashton turned around, finding an amused Luke coaxing a petrified Calum out of his seat—or attempting to. The curly haired boy was gripping the handlebars with a grip so tight his fingers had turned white.