Chapter 19

Luke watched Calum get up off the couch for the sixth time that hour and pace through the den, kitchen, and back into the den. The two were watching something on TV that Calum had picked, some house hunting show, but the curly haired boy couldn't concentrate on it. It was starting to drive Luke crazy how restless he was acting, but he wouldn't say anything about it, because Luke was hoping to get him comfortable enough to talk to him.

He sat down, drumming his hands on the couch cushion, changing positions, sighing heavily. Eventually Luke couldn't take it anymore.

"Everything okay, Calum?"

Calum startled, looking over at the blonde.

"Yeah, wh-why?"

Luke rolled his eyes, tossing his phone next to him so he could talk.

"You won't stop fidgeting. What's going on?"

He shrugged.

"Just bored, I guess."

"Want to do something else?"

Calum's eyes lit up. He wasn't a big TV watcher. He was always out doing things, and the fact that he hadn't been to work or out of the house in a month was making him a little crazy.

"We could play a game, make some food or something, I think we still have Michael's old Wii, I could dig that out,"

He watched Calum steadily deflate and frowned in confusion.

"What's wrong? You don't want to do anything like that?"

Calum shrugged.

"It's f-fine, we can just watch this," he slouched down, looking at the TV with unfocused eyes.

Luke groaned.

"Cally, I'm trying here. I'm not a mind reader, you need to tell me what you want, or else you'll continue being miserable. And it's not fine, don't say that,"

Calum bit his lip. He knew what he wanted was impossible, there was no point in even trying.

"It's just...I'm used to always b-being on the go," Calum explained, eyes fluttering around the den. A photo of the three of them caught his attention, they were all dressed up and it seemed from the background they were at a park, on a picnic of sorts. Luke was lying on Ashton's lap, and Michael was crouched behind the brunette, arms around his neck, his head leaning against Ashton's. It was adorable, they all looked so happy together. Would the four of them ever get that chance? "As a travel nurse, I'm always d-doing something, somewhere. I pick up a lot of overtime, I'm always out, and on my l-last day in a new city, I go sight seeing. I guess..." Calum glanced over at Luke, noting the fond look on his face as he listened to Calum. "I guess I just m-miss being outside."

"I'm so sorry, baby," Luke scooted closer, opening his arms and giving Calum the choice of whether or not he could touch him. Calum smiled and leaned into his embrace. "I can't believe we never even thought about how you'd feel about any of this. We were so concerned with making sure everything went smoothly, we didn't ask if you even wanted this,"

Calum shrugged.

"It's okay,"

"No, it isn't." Luke pulled away, tipping his chin and making him look at him. "It's never okay for us to ignore your feelings and wants." he kissed Calum's forehead, causing the dark haired boy to flush. Luke grinned, gasping and putting his hands on Calum's shoulders. "Oh my god, okay, I have a great idea. Wanna play like, 20 questions or something? I can get to know you so you don't feel like you're being ignored."