🫧|two|🫧

"She's gone mute

"She's gone mute. Thanks, dickwad."

Draco looked over at his son, his scowl falling. Cordelia's mother never came home last night, and in the middle of the night, Draco had woken up to screaming. Painful, horrid, and torturous screams that filled his ears until it died down a few seconds later.

Scorpius was now awake with him, taking a seat at the bar on the stools. He was angry with his father, and he was angry at the world. His love for Cordelia traveled across the entire world and back— and yesterday, Draco had triggered something in her mind. Whether it was from her mother yelling, to him banging on the kitchen table, and then slamming his dishes in the sink.

After Cordelia's father died, a lot of things seemed to trigger her. She'd wake up in the middle of the night, and have horrible dreams. It's why most of the time, she doesn't sleep.

"Watch your mouth," Draco told him, raspy but sharply. "I didn't do anything wrong."

Scorpius scoffed, "Would you just try to understand how she feels?" he pushed his stool back harshly, making his way to the fridge. "She has to adjust to her mother getting engaged, again. She has to learn how to be around you in her own home. Stop slamming dishes, stop banging on the table—"

"Fucks sake," Draco ran a hand through his hair, "You were practically playing with your food. Am I not supposed to discipline you?"

"That's not what I'm saying," Scorpius said back, pouring a glass of orange juice. "I'm just asking to do it differently around her. If she's out of the house, you scream at me as much as you want too. But don't do it in front of her."

"So I have to fuck up my parenting—"

Footsteps could be heard, and from where the kitchen door is, they could see Cordelia, opening the door. She wore black baggy sweatpants, tied tight at her waist, and a short sleeve grey T—shirt, her hair in two Dutch braids and no makeup on.

She stopped short when as soon as she opened the door, her mother stood there. Draco could see Cordelia, could see the way her face tilted up, the curve of her small nose, her jawline, and the glare that was set on her face as the sunlight lit up her face. Her mothers lips opened, but they closed as soon as Cordelia ran past her, out the door. For the first time, Draco Malfoy found Cordelia attractive.

"Where is she going?!" Her mother shouted, and from the window, Draco could see the way Cordelia slightly slowed down. "Cordelia!"

This time, she ran faster.

"She's going for a run," Scorpius mumbled, finishing his drink.

Draco raised his eyebrows, "She could be running away, for all you know—"

"She won't." He glared at his father, slipping on his shoes. "I'm always there to bring her back."

Cordelia opened the door, holding the small little puppy in her arms.

She'd just gotten off of her work, and she decided to get a puppy. She thought that maybe, it would help her. Cordelia was aware she had issues, but all she wanted was peace. Scorpius was the only peace she had. He was quiet, he didn't yell at her, and he talked to her like a normal person. He didn't have anger problems, he doesn't take his anger out on people.

Instead, when Scorpius is upset, he goes to Cordelia. As does she. When she gets too upset to even open her mouth, and when she goes mute for a few days, the first person she ever speaks too is Scorpius. It was always like that.

So she thought maybe, a puppy would help her.

When she walked in, her mother was sitting in Mr. Malfoys lap, a bright smile on her face— until she laid eyes on Cordelia.

"What is that?" Her mother asked, pulling away from Mr.Malfoy. "Hello?"

Draco turned around, seeing Cordelia, and now, all he could see was how good she looked. Now, all he could see was the hatred she had for her mother, and how much she was praying she didn't yell at her. Now, he understood his son.

"This shit again?" Her mother, Faith, almost raised her voice. "I don't have time for this. And I also don't have the money for a mutt. Get that thing out of here."

Cordelia stared blankly at her mother, and just started to walk up the stairs.

When her mother started shouting, she breathed, and breathed, and sometimes, that was difficult. But eventually, she made it to Scorpius' room, and knocked lightly.

"Who is it?"

When nobody answered, Scorpius was quick to open the door, and bring Cordelia into his arms, shutting the door. He knew when he didn't get an answer, it was her. His father wouldn't play ding dong ditch.

"Careful, Scorp," Cordelia smiled, feeling him pull back and stare at the little pit bull.

"Oh?" He watched Cordelia set the puppy on the bed, and sit down. "Where'd you get him?"

"At the shelter down the street," she told him softly. "They we're gonna get rid of him. And I think he'd help me."

Scorpius nodded, sitting down next to her. "He's cute. What's his name?"

"I think I'm gonna name him Brax." Cordelia smiled, so soft that Scorpius wanted to hug her. "I'm going to the bathroom real quick."

She got up, and let Brax follow her, a smile covering her entire face. She closed Scorpius' door back, and made her way to the bathroom, opening the door.

Once she was finished, she washed her hands and left the bathroom, back down the hallway to Scorpius' room. He was clearly on the phone, and she didn't mean to eveasdrops, but then her name was said and she kinda stood outside.

"Cordelia?" There was a pause, and that pause was all it took for her heart to shatter. "No. She's just my step sister. What? No! She's a weirdo."

She lowered her eyes, and just started to walk back with Brax, until she ran into Mr. Malfoy.