XXXIV

- TAEHYUN -

Everything seemed to be going back to normal. Normal was what Taehyun perceived as what he had considered routine back a month ago, despite all of the circumstances. The guys welcomed Taehyun back with open arms, Huening Kai especially. Taehyun had also received his midterm report back that detailed his grades and class rank. As it turns out, he was the top ranked freshman in the whole school for last semester. That was something his father and mother had celebrated with him. That night after receiving the report, his father had declared that they were going to have a celebration. They settled on a Korean barbecue restaurant and for that entire evening, his father didn't discuss the trial or how awful public schools were. It was nice just to have a conversation as a family once again. For so long, the pressure was building up on them to maintain this happy family facade in the courtroom.

His relationship with Beomgyu was blossoming even more. They were spending more time together, having deep conversations and discussing the future. Truthfully, Taehyun could picture a future with Beomgyu and he wanted that. Everything just felt right between the two of them. Maybe things were escalating quickly, considering the fact that they had near sexual encounters with each other three separate times now, but that was because things seemed almost perfect between the two of them. They lost themselves in the moment constantly.

Since everything was going so well, almost too well, Taehyun wondered what kind of karma was in store for him. Would he lose Beomgyu again? Would his father lose his trial? There had to be something waiting for him. It was too good to be true at this point. Taehyun was used to being let down constantly when things were going good. It wasn't the best mindset to have, but still, that's what he felt. Unfortunately, he couldn't help it.

When lunchtime had rolled around, Taehyun felt like he was in a daze. School had been passing by so quickly. It had almost been a month since second semester had started, yet it seemed like he had just returned a few days ago. Taehyun didn't mind though, he was looking forward to summer vacation and spending time with Beomgyu. They would be able to spend endless amounts of time together, and maybe they wouldn't have to worry about sneaking out late at night.

As Taehyun fished for his second set of textbooks from his locker, he heard light footsteps garner closer to him. He glanced over and noticed Yeonjun standing beside him, peering at him curiously. It was typical for the two of them to walk together to lunch, along with Soobin. Also, considering that Taehyun's locker still hadn't been switched to the lower class block, he had joined the two of them to lunch while Huening Kai and Beomgyu had found each other.

"Where's Soobin?" Taehyun asked nonchalantly, shutting his locker.

"He had to stop by a classroom to discuss something for student council," Yeonjun told him, positioning his binder in the crook of his elbow.

"Ah, I see," Taehyun said with a nod before the two of them started off together towards the cafeteria.

"Taehyun," Yeonjun said after a moment of silence between the two of them, "I need to tell you something."

Taehyun felt his senses perk up instantly. What was Yeonjun going to tell him? Ever since Wooyoung's last party, Yeonjun and Taehyun's friendship had gradually increased. It was harder for Yeonjun to accept Taehyun back into the group compared to the others, and rightfully so. The two of them had history, and combined with that, Taehyun didn't exactly leave on the best foot with him.

The easiness of Yeonjun's voice threw Taehyun for a loop. He was always so calm and collected, so any serious conversations didn't have as much tension. Taehyun felt like if Yeonjun was going to tell him anything, then it wouldn't be something bad, judging by his tone.