Third wheel

Duane opened the door of his hillside mansion and stepped in, he grunted placing the keys down and stretched his fingers, they were properly worn by the constant typing on that damn laptop.

He got himself a bottle of water out the fridge and dressed in his gym clothes, a quick run on the treadmill to ease up was just what the doctor ordered.

As he set off he placed his earphones on and dialed Lucy up.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey its Duane"

"Oh hi boss uh~"

"Don't worry about today, it was so damn busy I wouldn't have had the time to show you anything, are you busy...?" He held his next words, it was way too soon to call her over to his house.

"Yes, me and my sisters are out for the evening"

"Ah, good then, enjoy yourselves, tomorrow is Saturday and usually I just go in from ten to one to do some minor work, can you come in then?"

"Yes I'll be there" Lucy answered.

"Good, you got the dresses?"

"I did"

"Great, enjoy your evening"

"You too sir"

He tapped the red button on his phone and took a sip of his water, he heard she was short on her answers, she might even have sounded angry.

Now on a Friday afternoon he still wanted some company, being alone was not agreeing with the money he has to spend, it made him realize that even if he and Nina didn't have a sexual relationship at least she was always there to keep him.

He scrolled down his contacts until he found her number, his finger hovered there for a few seconds, then he tapped it, the answer came almost immediately.

"What do you want!?" She asked harshly.

"Just phoning to hear if you want to come over for a drink?"

"Oh!? So we breaking up didn't happen this morning?"

"That doesn't mean we're not friends right?"

"Duane go fuck yourself!" She said and the line died.

He tapped redial and she answered already speaking her mind "You didn't even say something in the line of apologizing! Its just 'want to come over for a drink!' Nothing else!"

"Should I apologize?"

"Yes! You're a rude mother fucker!"

"I'll apologize in person"

"Oh, luring me in hey? What makes you think I want to come over!?"

"You can have all the drinks and snacks you want"

"Pouring sugar on shit doesn't make it edible!"

"You want to be friends Nina!?"

She remained quiet.

"Or is the real reason you're so angry at me that you won't have access to my money anymore?"

"It was never about your money you bastard! I really did start liking you!"

"Fair enough, then let's be friends with benefits"

She laughed "You're never seeing my naked tushy again asshole!"

"I meant you can always come here on weekends to keep me company and have free drinks"

"Do I look like an alcoholic?"