New(boys)sies

After walking a rather short walk. I sold my last papers with the help of Jack of course. we came up to an average looking building. Jack with a grin on his face said, "Welcome Home!"

I walk in and say hi to the man who runs the joint, Mr. Kloppleman. Then Jack leads me upstairs. One of the first things I hear is "Oh look Jack got a goil." It's all boys here. Not a single girl. What?!?!

"Boys this is Stray. Our new Newsie." He turns towards me. "Stray this is Race, Specs, Skittery, Mush, Buttons, Elmer, Boots, Kid Blink, Bumlets, Mike, Ike, Sharp-shooter, and you know Crutchie of course." he says as he points at every single one. I will never be able to remember all of these names. I realize they're all looking at me waiting for me to say something. "Uh....Hiya...." They are stilling starring. "Um....uh.....COME ON I'M A GIRL NOT A CAMERA NOT STARING!" I just exploded in front of a bunch of guys. I can feel my face turnings red.

They are dead silent for about 3 seconds. Until they start cheering their heads off. The one known as Race said, " Jack this goil is a hoot. Where you find one like that?" Jack responds with. "Slow down she's not my girl just a friend who needs help. Plus she sold papes like you wouldn't believe.". Race stood their for a few seconds. "So that means she's available." I about to laugh my head off at their conversation. I just decide to interrupt. "You relies I'm right here!"

Race blushes. Jack starts cracking up.

The guys are not that bad. I guess I thought they would be scary. But really they're just big teddy bears. BUT that can soak anyone who crosses them. I walk over to Crutchie who is sitting on a bunk bed in the corner. "Hey, Stray. How you like it so far?"

"It's great. At my old house I would walk into a man who didn't talk to me. or care about me for that matta." I slowly say. "But here. I haven't even been here for an hour and you guys care more about me than my own dad did."

"Us Newsies we're like brudders to each other. We stick together. Nothing can break us up." Crutchie puts his hand on my shoulder. "Now we gots a little sister." A smile lit up on my face that made me feel oh so special.

"HEY STRAY OVERA HERE!" I here a voice call from a pack of newsies in front. "I'll talk to you later Crutchie." I say waving and walking over to them. He seemed fine about it. So I walked over to them. The boys I recognize are Specs, Race, and Buttons. I remember the others names but i cant out thme with there faces. Jack is with them too. "Listen they arnt any goil newsies. And we just want to make sure that your tough enough to handle yourself." Specs said. Jack nodded along with him. "I told them about how great you where sellin papes. But there are scabs out there. And they wouldn't just let you slip by because you're a girl."

"Guys i can take care of myself. I'll even sell with you guys if you're that worried but, I'm sure I can handle it." I say. I dont want them babying me, that was one of the reasons I left my father. "Well, if you need us to help you, we'll soak anyone for you." I recognized one guy whose name was Ike. "Thank you." i say and I meant it too. Not like times when my dad made bad food and i had to say thanks. I really meant it.

After a few hours I hear a shout, "Hit the hay. Carrying the banner in the morning." The boys head to their beds. I have no where I sleep. I just walk around until i come across an empty bed that no one is using. I plop down and try to shut my eyes. What a day! I left my jerk of a father made a new family and have a new career. Not to mettion how these guys think of me as a little sister. I never had siblings, so this is a big deal for me. Sure my bed is not as comfty as my old one, but i have never been more relaxed. Sure my clothes are dirty, but I've never been more comfortable in my own skin.