Piggybacks to Parties

I follow behind Jack into town. Of course the guys want to talk to me and tell me how much they miss me.

"I was moping."
"Nice ta see ya Stray."
"Really missed ya."
"Refuge's no mar."
"We got our little sista back."

Imagine that being said all at once, from all the boys and I can't pin which one said which. But each saying made me smile.

The comforting stench of a cigar lingers behind me. I didn't have to turn around to know who is was. Race run up from behind me and put his arm around me. Something Crutchie can't do.

"Stray. Ise not gonna lie. Boys were pretty beat up."

"It's alright now Race. I'm out." I say plastering a smile on my face. But He did not buy it.

"You don't get it. We beat ourselves up for lettin' dat happen to yous." He says this and I stop dead in my tracks. I look at this boy and give a tight hug to him. Race at first was shocked, but gave into the hug and looked at me.

"Come ons." I hear Kid Blink yell at us. It makes me smile how he went back to the way things were so quick. It helps me settle in.

I see Jacobi's Deli out of the corner of my eye. I run up to Jack. He looks down at me and grins. "We going to the Deli?"

He shakes his head no. I burrow my eyebrow out of confusion. "Lounging House?" I ask again. Again, he shakes his head no. I'm running out of places that we usually go to. 

He just smiles as I continue asking places and he says no for every single one.

I know that we are not going to the Rooftop, Newsie Square, the Bridge, or even Brooklyn. I am in the dark.

I think about where we are going and I'm not even looking. Clueless because I made myself. I wasn't even paying attention. Now we are on the streets walking around.

Following the guys, I bump into Elmer. He came to a stop and I didn't notice. He laughed when I rammed into him. I smack the back of his neck. "Just because I was in the refuge doesn't mean I still can soak ya." I say, and he smiles.

Jack runs to me and Elmer. "Stray, close ya eyes."

"Jack.... I won't be able to see where I'm going." I said in the most sassiest way possible. Which I learn from him.

Jack didn't think all of it through it appears. He looks at the ground then looks back up at me with a idea in his eyes. "Hop on my back!" He orders in a cheery way.

"Jack Kelly I'm a takin' lady." I say in a joking manner and act hurt. Fine overact hurt.

"Ise means a piggyback." He sighs at me being annoying.

Jack turns around and puts his arms back as a Que for me to jump on. I turn to Elmer and raise my eyebrows. This isn't going to turn out well. Elmer gives me a boost to get on top of Jack. It isn't that hard, I just was off putting the idea of it.

Once Jack is carrying me he says, "Okay..Now yous get to close ya eyes." I do what he says. All of a sudden i realize how loud us Newsies really are. The guys not so much me. At least I hope I am not that loud. Eh.. I don't care anyways.

I clinch onto Jack's shoulders every time he takes a turn. I am scared that I will fall off. But I know that he will not let that happen.

I want to peek sooooo bad. I want to see my surprise. I want to see Crutchie.

I hear the creek of a door opening. I lean in to Jack's ear. "Are we there yet?"

"Yea, but keep em closed."

I do what he says and keep my eyes closed. But the urge to open is eating me alive. I feel me and jack go down some steps. I also hear snickering from the boys. Jack shushes them and goes back to walking. He sets me down with the help of Race. Or at least I think its Race? The smell of stale cigar gave me a hunch. I still haven't opened my eyes, so I wouldn't know for sure.

I standing in a unknown place with my eyes closed. I tighten my fist out of pure nervousness. "Stray....You can open ya eyes now." Jack says.

Although he said it, I open them slowly and unsure. But once I see what it is I cant keep still.

I am standing in the middle of the audience of Irving Hall. And on the stage is the lovely Ms. Medda, who is like my newsie aunt. Beside her is one the thing I have been waiting to see since I got taken to the Refuge.

Crutchie.

I jump up and down. My cap falls off so I pick it up real quick and run for that stage. I hop on up. I run to him. I wrap my arms around him.

Crutchie, when I run up and hug him,he wraps his free arm and then he lets go of his crutch and hugs me with both arms. I cry. I haven't cried since I was in the refuge. I'm just over embedded in feelings that I can't contain. Just the fact that he let go of his crutch to be able to fully hug me, made me tear up.
"Stray." He whispers into my ear. "Crutchie." I say back. We stay like this for three long minutes.

We pull away from each other and Medda hands Crutchie his crutch. Then she turns to me. "Now when do I get a hug from my favorite girl newsie?" She sasses. I go up and hug her responding with, "I'm the only girl newsie."

Jack hops on the stage while the others stand out in the audience watching us. Which means they saw me break down. I don't care, I got my Crutchie back.

"Thanks Jack."

"Thank Brooklyn." He takes off his hat. "But we know how much you like Medda's shows. And we know how much you like Crutchie." That got some ow-ow-owes from the boys. But he continues with his little speech. "Now this is a party."

"It is?"

All of a sudden the boys, Jack and Medda yelled, "Hell yes."

I look at Crutchie and I get to see that famous smile that spreads like butter and I know things are gonna be alright.

*******************************************************************************************************

A/N: Coming up in the story. Davey. And that means.....I'm writing a sequel!!!!!! And it is going to be set during the strike. So all the Newsies fun plus Stray.

I know I haven't updated in a while because I have been very busy. A few weeks ago I was Ado Annie in a production of Oklahoma!. Now I am doing ensemble for High School Musical. (That is one fun show.)

In the picture are my friends Lucas and Judson. Lucas is playing Troy and Judson is playing Ryan. But Judson has a wattpad and he writes a lot of good books. So read them and follow him. Judisfum

JudisFum