Wondering

I'm just wondering around aimlessly through the streets of New York. I don't know where to go. And I constantly looking over my shoulder, because the guys made me nervous of a Delancey popping out of no where and beating me to a pulp.

The thought came into my head that I should visit my father. He probably would be furious when he sees me dressed in a boys clothes and with dirt under my fingernails. But you don't know maybe he would be happy. It's unlike my father to be happy about anything. Should I even take the chance?

I could go to Brooklyn and see Spot Conlon. I haven't seen him since our first meeting. He would be much more pleasant than my father, but I don't know any other Brooklyn newsies. Spot is tougher than a Delancey, but will he hurt me.

Then again I could go back to Irving Hall and to Medda. But she said it was fine no matter what I do. But I don't want to be a burden.

Father? Spot? Or Medda? Medda? Spot? Or Father? This is harder than I thought it would be. I can't avoid my dad forever,but tonight isn't the right night to see him. So I make my way towards to Brooklyn Bridge. Spot was nice enough the first time. Might as well take the chance.

I'm walking towards the bridge when I see a familiar silhouette. He starts to walk towards me I stop in my tracks waiting for him to approach. He eagerly runs over to me. I hear his accent take over the air. "Stray....Long time no see. What brings you to Brooklyn?" He says.

"Just a wondering around. Thought I would stop by and see what's going on." I answer quietly back to him.

"Did Jacky Boy set you up to this?" He said.

"You mean coming here?" I ask in supsion. He nods, I laugh. "The exact opposite he thinks I'm at Irving Hall."

"Now why would a person want to leave Irving Hall. That place is a beauty." he chuckles out.

"Well let's just say the Delancey brothers-" I say but he cuts me off mid-sentence. "I hate dem Delanceys. Thinking they can soak who ever they want. What did they do now?" He asked after he interrupted me.

"Well I may have insulted Oscar. But tons of Newsies do it all the time. I don't know why now he wants to beat me up. I mean the guys called them sewage once, sure they did get a little pounded, but they're scarer now." I finish my rant. Spot puts his arm over my shoulders and pats me on the back. "Listen. Stray. If you're evers in a problem. Brooklyn's Here."

I share a shy smile with him for a moment. I know I have a place to go if I can't turn to the Manhattan Newsies. Brooklyn will be there if I need it.

"Uh....Stray...The sun about to come up any minute. I think you betta head on home." he suggest. I nod understandingly. "Well till the next time we see each other....Spot Conlon." I say as I'm walking off into the distance.

"Till the next time.....Stray." he says back.

*30 minutes later*

I'm walking down the streets. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. I've known these streets all my life. I would know if something was wrong. Spot was right by the way. The sun is coming up. I guess I just pulled an all nighter. I hope I will have enough energy to sell papes. With tired legs I charge to the World Gates. The firsts newsies there are Kid Blink, Ike, Elmer, Skittery and Sharp-Shooter.  I see a few walking up. Its Boots, Mush, Specs and Crutchie. I'm guessing the rest of the guys will be coming in a second.

"Hiya!" I hear Crutchie say. So almost instantly I run over to him. "How you've been?" He asks.

"Peachy. How was everything last nite?" I respond trying to seem as awake as possible.

"Well Race made a bet to see if he could  shoot a sling-shot better than Sharp-Shooter." he says.

"Let me guess he lost." I say back in a snarky tone. Crutchie cracks up and nods. I knew it! Sharp-Shooter practices with his  sling shot just about every night. Race should have been smarter than that. Next thing I know Jack and the rest of the guys are here.

The Delaneys open the gate. Now it's time to Carry the Banner!