Chat time

When I arrive at the lounging house. Everyone is talking and walking around. Doing what they do. Specs is tiding his space. Race is smoking a cigar. Jack and Crutchie are talking. Snipe-Shooter is practicing his sling shot. Mike and Ike are having a competition to see who is the better brother. Elmer is cleaning. Kid Blink is sleeping. Mush is shaving what little hair he has on his chin off. Boots in betting something with Bumlets, if I know Race like I think I know Race, he will be putting his money in the bet any minute now.

A few guys notice that I'm back. I walk over to Jack and Crutchie. They stop talking when they see me. "Where have you bean?" Asked Crutchie. I look down at my feet ponder for a second and then answer. "Out!" Short, sweet, and to the point. "Out where?" Jack asked in a funny detective way.

"Out selling my last papes." I stutter.

"Stray?" Jack said. He tilted my head like he knew already. My stutter probably have it away. "Fine I met a guy!" I say so the tension eases.

Crutchie tilted his head. "You met a lot o guys yesterday? How was this different?" Jack gave him a sympathy pay in the back. "Who?" Jack asked.

"A Newsie from Brooklyn." I don't want to tell them everything. Just then I hear footsteps behind me. Its Race. "Brooklyn you say? Tell me more!" I sigh I'm done with theses Newsies big brothers breathing down my neck.

"Guys I don't want to talk about it." I say. I hear a groan of come ons and Really tell mores. I don't think the guys care about my little crush. Oh my goodness, I have a crush. I blush a little. I can feel the guys starring at me. "Who Dan, Romeo? I know a lot of Brooklyn newsies!" Race says. I am silent. Race walks up.

"Oh don't say who I think you're going to say." Race Sputters. Jack walks up to him. They look at each other with confused faces and then look at me. "Please don't tell me you met Spot Conlon?" Jack asked.

"Would you feel better if I said no?" I barely say sacred out of my mind. I saw Kid Blink shoot me a glare, indicating that I probably should explain. "Ok I was selling near the Brooklyn Bridge. And I met him. What's so bad about that?"

"Spot Conlon is the leader of da Brooklyn Newsies. Very tough, and Intimidating." Crutchie says. "He even scares Delanceys."

"Are you guy scared of him?" I ask.

"Hey! We ain't scared it just that Spit Conlon makes us a little nervous!" Boots says. I just noticed that almost all the guys were listening in on my topic. "Soooo whatca talk about?" Said someone. I think about this for a second. I can't remember what I said but I remember how I felt. Dizzy, but Happy.

"Just about the paper." I lie trough my teeth. Jack smirks. "Stray?????"

"What we really did talk about the paper. And selling spots. And about be being a girl Newsie." I blush a little. Hoping that they don't notice.

"Is it just me or is Stray's cheeks turnin a shade of pink." Crutchie said. I turn at him giving him a sharp glare. "Ohh does someone have a crush."

"On Spot Conlon?" Jack asked.
"Stray and Spot. Spot and Stray." Race added.
"The Brooklyn Boy and The Manhattan Maiden." Said Elmer.
"I can see it now. Stray on Spot on the bridge, grazing the pape." Bumlets turn to add to the conversation had come.

"Guys it's no big deal, I bet you meet girls all the time. Do you bug each other like this?" I shout.

"Nah...but Stray we'd never had a goil friend before. So we just want to protect ya. Yea know." Specs said. This is basically the same thing that they said last night. I don't like repeating history. "I get that! We've been over this." I snap back.

Jack walks up to me and whispers. "Met me and Crutchie on da rooftop in 5 minutes." I tilt my head in confusion.