Beatin'

Seems like just a normal day. Gonna buy the papes and sell them. Me, Jack, Race, and Crutchie are all walking together to the World gates. "Aye Stray. We evera tell yous about Crutchies first day." Race says poking me with his elbow.

"Race please.." Crutchie pleaded with him not to tell.

"Come on. Its a gud story." Jack says ruffling Crutchie's hair through his hat. He scowls but pushes through one of his classic smiles.

"Well are you going to tell it or not?" I say poking Race and Jack.

Race just laughs a little before he actually says anything. "Well. Crutchie was young when he first joined the newsies."

Jack takes over the story time, "And he had some papers left over his first day. So he asked me what he should with em. 'well you eat em.' I said. And he actually started to rip up the paper and put it in his mouth."

"Aye!" Crutchie said as we started to laugh. "Now I know that's means throw em out, but it was confusing for me." That's only made us laugh more.

He frowns, I chuckle and kiss him on the lips. "Don't worry. I find it adorable." His frown literally turns upside down as he kisses me on the cheek.

We don't have our sweet moment long when we hear. "OW OW OW." From Mush and Kid Blink. I realize that we have gotten to the closed gates. I shoot a glare at the guys and they only laugh into each other.

The Delancey Brothers open the gates, but they eye me like a hawk. I don't pay it any attention, because they're probably gonna punch me again. My black eye has gone down, but you can tell its there.

All of us get in line. The faster I get these papers the faster I can get out. I sigh in my spot behind Elmer. I feel a strong arm pull me out of line. Now I'm face to face with a Delancey. Morris Delancey. "See girl, your daddy found your little note and he's mad." Morris spits in my face.

"Stray!" "AYE! "Let her go!" Is all I hear from the guys.

Then I see two men who I would never want to see ever. My father and Synder.
All of the newsies flinch when they see Synder. Luckily no one knows my father.

"DENISE!" My dad yells. He runs up to me and slaps me across the face. No one was excepting that. Even Oscar and Morris were shocked. Weasel's eyes become wide from behind the window. Morris loses his grip on me and let's me go.

"Father.." I try and say.

"You have pulled some crap, but this Denise is far worse than anything. Wearing rags. Living on the street with these rats." We say pointing to my best friends.

"They are no rats. They're my family. They cared for me more than you ever will." I snap at him, but that only resulted in a punch to the gut. Specs tries to run up and help me, but Oscar stops him kicking him back in line. I don't even want to see Crutchie's face.

"Family. You think an escaped confit, a smoker, and a crip. Is your family?" After he says that he laughs a big bully laugh that scares me. "You are Denise Sinclair. Not this Stray crap. No matter how hard you try and get rid of that. It will stay with you forever."

This stand off with my father has to be one of the most scariest things that has ever happened to me. My face maybe bold, but underneath I'm shivering. "Maybe sometime at the Refuge with straighten you out." When he said that I back up from him, my face became pale.

No No No. I promised Jack I would never go there. I can't. Not after what I've seen.

My father grips my wrist and pulls me away. Synder comes up and punches me square in the jaw. I become dizzy, but I try and pull away. Then Synder kicks me to the ground and I can't feel anything.

I eyes stay focused on the guys, while Synder is dragging me away on the ground. Race has dropped his cigar on the ground in shock. Mike and Kid Blink try and push through the Delanceys, but they stop them. Bumlett is in a bear hug with Sharp-Shooter and Ike. Specs has his head in his hands. The rest of the guys were in shock.

Jack was holding back tears, he knew that I would want him to be strong for the guys.

Crutchie. My Crutchie has tears pouring down his face. But he's not sobbing. There are just coming down. He chucks his crutch to the ground and falls. Then he just breaks down in front of all the guys. Jack comes over and helps him up.

I'm sorry. I broke our promise.

**********************************************************************************************

A/N: Don't hate me. Please don't. I'm sorry, but this had to happen. With her dad being the jerk that he is.

Question: What was your reaction when you read this chapter?