Introduction of the Brains

It's been about 5 months since I have been in the Refuge. Everything is dandy here.

Clyde and Victor are Brooklyn newsies now. Clyde is happy to be back and Victor couldn't be more thrilled to be a newsie. You know how Clyde's newsie name is Keys, well Vic got one too. It's just Vic. He's old family used to call him that now his new family does too.

I saw them a few weeks ago selling papers. Clyde is brushing off his old selling skills. And Vic is being the most polite newsie I have ever seen behind Cructhie.

Oh! Crutchie!

Yeah. Me and Crutchie are still  together.    The guys sometimes  make fun of us, but in a friendly way. Plus they mean no harm. Crutchie is still adorable. But of course I'm biased towards him.

Jack stills runs us. Makes sure we're safe and doing our job. And he is going to Santa Fe. Not anytime soon, but when he does ,me and Crutchie are tagging along.

In the last five months nothing has had happened. We all are working our tails off. The headlines have been sucking lately. Trolley strike is old news. Missing Delancey soaks. Well me and Jack got a few punches in at them. (They had it coming.)

Last night Crutchie and Jack spent the night in the rooftop. My two best friends.

Mr. Kopplemen comes up stairs and yells at us to get up, so we do and continue with our morning.

Race is talking about seeking spots and smoking as usual and I see Crutchie and Jack come from down stairs. "Carrying da banner! Let's sell dis bad news." Jack yells at us and we rush through getting ready.  

"We never lose this game." Yells Elmer from the sink his face dripping in water.

"Let's get out there! Carrying the banner!" I shout fixing my cap on and pulling my hair back into a braid.

(Are you catching on to what I'm doing? Hint: it's in the soundtrack)

We rush out the door and onto the streets of New York. Today it's gonna sell I can feel it.

Specs, Race, and Mush walk up to Crutchie.

"Aye Crutchie what's da leg say? Gonna Rain?" Race says. Crutchie laughs and goes along with it.

"Uhh....No rain. Uh..Ha. Partly cloudy, clear by evening." He says with the biggest smile that I love.

Specs jumps in the conversation. "And the limp sells 50 papes a week. All by its  self."

Crutchie hates when you belittle his work. He stranded up, "I don't need the limp to sell papes I got personality. It's takes a smile that spreads like butter, the kind the turns a lady's head." That's my boy!

"It's takes an orphan with a stutter."
"Who's also blind."
"And mute."
"AND DEAD."

These guys didn't have a proper education give them a break.

"What's the hold up! Waiting make me antsy!" Someone yells.

"Off ta Delancey!" buttons nudges me and says.

When we turn the corner of the block we see the nuns on a wagon. They sing some song that I have heard in church, when I used to go to church with my dad.

"Blessed children, though you wonder lost and debraved. Jesus loves you you shall be saved." They sing at us, while handing off some bread and coffee. Both bring a wonderful feeling of a new taste in my mouth.

One of the nuns with a Scottish accent spots out Elmer in the crowd. "Elmer when are we going to be seeing you in the church?"

With his big mouth he responds with, "I don't know but it's bound to happen one day sister."

We hand back the plates and mugs to the nuns and continue with our journey.

We run down the streets but I am the only one that notices we ran passed a teen guy and a little boy. I don't give a second thought though.

We reach the New York World gates and their are locked. Of course. Morris and Oscar come to the gates. It's my turn today. "Gee what is that unpleasant aroma?" I turn towards the guys.

Race continues, "I fear he sewers may have backed up over night."

Me again, "Or it may just be," Everyone joined in, "the Delancey brudders."

Blah blah blah. Jack beat up Morris. Blah blah blah. No we are in line to get papers. Albert goes up to Weasel, "Has anyone told you yous got an interesting face. Ever thing about getting in to the moving pictures?"

Weasel eating it up says, "You really think that?"

Albert being the joke that he is, "Sure, buy a ticket, they let anyone in." 

Whoa it's the guy from the street. He's wearing a vest and a tie, doesn't look like a newsie. The little one clings close to him. Must be brothers. 

He gets his papers and steps to the side, now it's my turn to talk to the Weasel. Get the papes, same thing day to day.

But New guy speaks up, "Excuse me? I payed for twenty and you only have me nineteen."

Dang!