Chapter 6

Vanessa has decided to go back to school today. She's been avoiding it for about 3 months. Because of this, her grades have been suffering drastically.

"Vanessa.!" Her mom yells up the stairs. "How much longer are you gonna take.?"

"I'm coming ma.! I'm doing my hair.!" Vanessa is feeling a Camila type vibe, so she curls her hair at the ends, and wears a shirt with a bow in the front and shorts.

!" Vanessa is feeling a Camila type vibe, so she curls her hair at the ends, and wears a shirt with a bow in the front and shorts

"Ready now.?"

"Think so." Vanessa laughs and opens her camera. "Yup. I'm ready." Vanessa's Mom thought it was best to take her to school, since its only 15 minutes away, and a half an hour bus ride, she thought that'd be better. Vanessa's friend Abigail starts rambling out of her head once she sees Vanessa. "Whoa, what.?"

"Who'd you get all cute for.? What's his name.? What does he look like.?" She says in a matter of fact tone.

"If you must know, I'm not getting for anyone except myself." Vanessa says bluntly.

"But you look so cuteee.!" She says while squealing.

Vanessa's schedule is Biology, English, Civics and Economics, and Math. A unknown male in Biology starts staring at Vanessa for some unknown reason. As she's listening to the teacher, she gets hit in the side by some foreign object. She looks down and its a piece of paper. Probably from one of those boys in her class. So she rips it up and tries to throw it away, missing the trash can. The teacher, not knowing who threw it, sighs and walked over to the trash can. Vanessa tries not to laugh as she's hit by yet another foreign object. "Kidding me right.?" Vanessa whispers as she bends down and picks up the paper. Her teacher turns around but she quickly get back to writing down the notes that are on the screen. This time she actually reads what's on the paper. It says:
Looking cute today. Here's my number. So call me maybe.

Vanessa begins to wonder on the subject of who still uses that pickup line, the song being from 4 years ago. Vanessa laughs, stuffing that paper into her backpack as the bell rings.

"Vanessa.!" She hears a familiar voice say, trying to get her attention. She turns around at the sound of her name, but can't find the voice. "Vanessa." The voice repeats. She finds the source of the voice, but can't register who it is. The person waves, and Vanessa waves back to be polite, and continues the long trek to her second period. Normani clicks her teeth, and begins to wonder why Vanessa was so anxious to get away from her.

"Ms. Reed." Normani says, getting the receptionist's attention.

"Yes.?"

"Do you mind if I stay here for a while, I'm trying to watch someone." Normani questions.

"Who, exactly."

"Vanessa Ha-Hernandez ma'am." Normani started to say her own last name, but remembered it didn't get approved.

"Oh, okay. She's really nice, not a problem at all." About an hour and a half later, Normani sees Vanessa walking by, and someone following her. The people start congregating in the hallway. Sammy and her friends have decided to gang up on Vanessa to see what she'll do.

"Oh look who's back." Sammy says with a laugh along with her clique.

"Wonder why she's not talking to us. Is she scared now.? Aw, the little baby." Sammy's friend says.

"If you think I'm scared of you, you must be seriously mistaken."

"Oh wow, she's not scared anymore. Wonder is this real or just talk." Sammy says, moving closer.

"You're the one that's just talk."

"What are you going to do.?"

"The real question is what are you going do.?" She gets closer to the locker with each word. She swings but Vanessa catches her hand. "Watch ya self. Ya wanna fight.?"

"Let's go then." Sammy chuckles.

"Fight me then, bitch." Vanessa says, taking off every accessory. Everyone gasps and she punches Vanessa. Her clique pushes her down to the ground and gets on top of her, missing every punch she makes. Vanessa punches her in the nose and grabs her arm. she flips over so Vanessa gets on top of her and starts punching and kicking her. Normani decides that it's time to intervene. The second they stand up, Normani throws Sammy across the floor and pushes Vanessa against a wall, while she's still mad. "Vanessa."

"Why-"

"Vanessa.!"

"Let-" Normani decides it's time to take a chance.

"Babygirl." That's what brings Vanessa to her senses. Everyone runs off, because they'd never seen someone that cares about Vanessa.

"What.? How'd you get here.?" Vanessa says confused.

"Get in the car." Normani sighs.

"What'd I do.?"

"Nothing, this is just the wrong place and time to ask you." Normani says.

"Okay." Vanessa nods, agreeing with Normani.

"Listen to me." Normani says, making Vanessa look at her. "Babygirl, fighting isn't always the answer."

"Have you fought someone before.?"

"Yeah, and guess where they are now." Normani says.

"Where.?" Vanessa questions.

"Jail." Normani chuckles.

"Really.?!"

"Yeah." Normani giggles, at Vanessa's enthusiasm.

"Tell me, tell me.!" Vanessa jumps on Normani.

"Okay Babygirl." She giggles, wrapping her arms around Vanessa's waist.
*flashback, 5 years ago*

Normani is on her way to English class, before a girl pushes her down and starts punching her. Normani kicks the girl off of her, and starts punching the girl. The School Resource Officer pulls Normani away from the girl.

"Follow me, Normani."

"Fine." Normani groans, going into her office.

"I've noticed quite a problem between you and this girl. Explain."

"She came up behind me, so I thought it was reasonable." Normani shrugs.

"Fighting isn't always the answer."

"What do you mean.?"

"Statistics show, most people that are violent in middle and high-school, will most likely be in abusive relationships, be in jail, or dead, in the next 10 years."

"So, you're basically saying, don't worry about her."

"Yes, she is the least of your worries."

"Oh, okay. Thank you."

"No problem. Have a good day."

"You too."

*end of flashback*

"Now she's sitting in jail on 5 counts of robbery with intent to kill."

"How long of a sentence.?"

"Only 15 years." Normani chuckles.

"Ooh." Vanessa laughs.

"Yeah." Normani giggles. "So, don't worry about her Babygirl. She's going to run her course anyways, but she will be caught."