Chapter 30

I woke up to loud banging on my front door. I opened my eyes and squinted to avoid the sun shining on my face. I was curled up with Kenzie on the couch. I was spooning her and she had her head nuzzled into my chest. The tv was dim and some talk show was on.

There were two empty plates on the coffee table, crumbs of cookies everywhere. Two half-drunken glasses of milk. The second round of banging jolted Kenzie awake. She flinched and a scream got caught in her throat, creating a high-pitched yelp.

"Whoa, you okay?" I ask.

She flinches again.

Then I feel her body relax into me.

"It was just a bad dream," she says more to herself than to me.

I open my mouth to say something when the knocking continues.

"Uh, Kenzie..." I indicate to her clinging to me.

"Oh! Sorry!" she jumped up, her face turning red.

"You're fine, I actually slept like a baby." I get up and stretch before walking over to the door.

When I open the door, no one is there.

I look around the hallway in confusion and that's when I see a flash of black hair turn the corner.

"Wait!" I call.

Then I run out into the hall wearing my pajamas and having no shoes on. I turn the corner and smack right into Jade.

"Oh, hey! Watch it," she complains.

"Jade? What are you doing here?" I frown in disappointment.

"Good morning to you too," she rubs her forehead in pain.

"Sorry, I thought you were someone else." I sigh.

"Clearly."

"You alone?" I look around for Skylar.

"No. Skylar is trying to park the car. This bougie apartment has no parking. I came to see Kenzie. Check on her. It's my day off." She shrugged.

"Oh, sorry. We were asleep."

"I can see that," she smirks at my pajamas.

I roll my eyes and walk back to my apartment.

I walk in to see Kenzie cleaning up from last night.

"Hey!" Jade strode over to her.

"Hey! I didn't know you were coming." Kenzie smiled at her.

"I would have come sooner but I've been hella busy. Let me tell you the life of an actress is not an easy one. Anyway, I'm here now and it's my day off. I thought we could spend it together." Jade hugs Kenzie from behind as Kenzie moves the dishes to the sink.

"Yeah, just let me get washed up and changed." Kenzie set the dishes down before hugging Jade back.

Kenzie went to her room leaving me with Jade.

"How you been?" I ask.

"I was going to ask you the same thing. No offense but you look like shit."

"How am I not supposed to be offended by that?" I glare at her.

"What I mean is, you look like you've been crying your eyes out. That or you are having a severe allergic reaction to something." She shrugs.

"I did not miss you," I shake my head.

"Keep telling yourself that," she pats me on the shoulder.

A soft knock at the door draws our attention. Skylar walks in and smiles at me. I smile at her. She's as adorable as I remember.