Chapter 37

After that fiasco, I thought the worst was over. Mackenzie actually sat down and had a long conversation with her parents. I gave her some privacy. Which left me stuck with Jade. Sadly. Then Skylar came over and we decided to have a family movie night.

The movie was about to start when Mackenzie had already run out of soda.

"I'll get you more," I offered.

"Thanks," she smiled at me.

So I got up to get more.

When I came back, Jade and Mackenzie were whisper bickering about something, and Mackenzie hit Jade hard in the ribs which shut her up before I could hear. I eyed them in confusion but sat down next to Mackenzie.

I don't think I'll ever understand sibling relationships.

Mackenzie grabbed her soda and rested her head on my shoulder.

But before the movie could start, the doorbell rang.

"Ugh! It's probably my sister." Skylar got up to get it.

"Just let her in." Mackenzie's mom said.

Skylar grumbled under her breath.

It wasn't Oli, it was the evil bitch, again.

Jean.

Before any of us could get up and deal with it, Skylar pushed Jean out of the doorway and slammed the door in her face. Locking it.

Jade actually laughed out loud and Skylar smiled proudly.

"I fucking love you," Jade got up and pecked Skylar on the lips.

The doorbell rang again.

Everyone else got up at the same time.

"I'll deal with this," Mackenzie's dad said.

"No, just leave her alone. She's not worth it." Mackenzie said.

He swung open the door and there was Jean again.

"Mackenzie please, just hear me out," Jean said.

"What part of, go away forever, don't you get?" Jade snapped.

"If you ever so much as look in my daughter's direction again, you'll regret it." Mackenzie's mom hissed.

"Leave before I make you leave." Her dad said.

"I've changed! I still love you, Mackenzie!" Jean begged.

Before any of us could stop her she stepped into the house and walked right over to Mackenzie. She grabbed Mackenzie's hands in her own and looked her in the eye.

"After you left I was so angry. So confused. I had to do a lot of soul searching. I'm getting counseling. I'm getting better. I promise. I know you needed space so I left you alone. What I did to you was wrong, I took things too far too often. I know I fucked up. But please, give me a chance to show you. I really mean it this time."

"No. It's over Jean. For good. That part of my life is over. We are through." Mackenzie pulled back.

"You can't just leave me," Jean held on tightly to her.

"Enough! Just go!" Mackenzie tried to pull free.

"No. You belong with me." Jean squeezed her arm so hard Mackenzie cried out in pain.

That was it.

I snapped.

All I saw was red.

I grabbed Jean by the shoulders and yanked her away from Mackenzie.