.10

BATTLE

"Never" She frowned at Anna's giggles. She was expressing her thoughts of love, something that clearly since she turned she felt lacked, maybe even before she turned but the thought never crossed her mind until Anna brought the subject.

"Come on" Anna smiled "Love is a necessity in life, did you know I read once that we were designed to look for our equal soulmate?" Anna waited reluctantly to see Elle's reaction to this.

Elle shook her head in disbelief. "I don't actually believe that Anna" she shrugged as she looked herself in the mirror. "It's more of a punishment.." she whispered softly before her eyes met Anna's through the mirror.

"Punishment?" Anna cocked her head to the side. "Estelle" she began as she rose from her bed to where Estelle was. "Love could never be punishment. Perhaps this is fear talking" Her hands rested on Estelle's shoulders. "I..."

"I don't want to keep talking about this Anna." She cut Anna from continuing the topic. "Repeat the plan one more time" She turned away from Anna and sat down on the bed with legs crossed. She knew well that it was indeed fear speaking about how love was punishment. Estelle had lost everyone she loved and cared about. She had Anna now, but without Anna, she would be terribly lost. And those thoughts only led her to believe that it would have been better to die in that alley that night. Perhaps even when her father told her he would shoot her as well. Life could never be easy for a Salvatore, the name meant savior and those who save, end up always losing greatly.

"If you say so" Anna continued without hesitating to estate the plan on getting her mother. But Estelle was barely paying attention to the details. Anna had hope, Estelle had nothing but her. It pained her, bothered her but she obviously never thought about coming back to Mystic Falls. It would only make her switch it off. Not care about a damn soul.

Anna looked at Estelle knowing she was long gone from hearing her plan. She sat beside her friend and sighed loudly making Estelle focus on her. "Estelle" she started.

"I am completely sorry, I was paying attention at first but I drifted apart. I am sorry Anna..." Estelle started but her friend raised a hand and stopped there before she could continue,

"If only I could give you back what you lost my friend..." Anna grabbed her hands looking at Estelle with enormous regret, almost like she felt guilty for what happened to her brothers.

"Anna, is not your fault" She looked down feeling the pain and the sting that ached her heart. "Is not" she reassured her but Anna never accepted her words. It was almost like she blamed herself for things Katherine Pierce did. Anna was scared of Katherine as well and was also following her mother's commands. It was never her fault, Estelle reassured herself inside of her.

"You might not get it now, Estelle" She sniffled. "But one day, when the tomb is open and I get my mom back, you will hate me and I will be okay with this" She rose from her seat. "Just remember when the moment comes, everything has a purpose and your brothers were always key in this."

"How can you say that..." Estelle shook her head. "They were human beings, my brother and my whole world. They were never a piece of chess in someone's game..."

"They were in Katherine's game" she simply stated before Estelle could continue cutting her train of thought. "She played them like chess pieces. She was always the king, hiding behind her pawns. And even I was a piece." She looked down feeling ashamed of it. "When the time comes, you'll understand and I must remind you: it's okay to hate me in the end" Like that Anna smiled regretfully. Anna walked over to her suitcase and without saying any other words she left to open her mom's grave and bring her back.