15

Chapter 15 - Toil & Trouble

The consequences are fucking terrible.

My father doesn't come to voice his displeasure never mind greeting me. Instead, I'm summoned to his office immediately and Cameron follows with a concerned look. His voice is a low muffle when he tells me to enter after I knock on his door.

"I'll be right here. Good luck." Cameron whispers as he leans against the wall with his arms crossed.

"If I don't come back out in at least fifteen minutes I want you to know that everything in my will goes to you and my dying wish is for you to swear at our parents until the sun comes down at my funeral." I state with a serious expression.

He rolls his eyes with a boyish smile. "Go."

"Fine...but I'm demanding that he covers mental health care at our next meeting." I mutter before sighing deeply.

"We're not his employees Marcie." Cameron chokes out as he stops himself from laughing loudly. "Shut up and go already."

I stick my tongue out at him childishly before stepping inside. My dad's eyes meet mine as he finishes the rest of his drink. He nods at me to come forward and I don't dare to take a seat knowing he's probably fuming on the inside.

"I'm going to cut to the chase...you're out of my inner circle. You seem to continuously prove that you're unworthy of staying at the top Marcella." He states which I expected but what he says next makes my blood boil. "You're on interrogation duty until I say otherwise."

If he wasn't so clever enough to station guards outside his office and demand no weapons then I would have shot him ten times already. Fucking smug old bastard knows me too well, I seethe to myself. Calm down, just count to ten. One...two – fuck it, imagine yourself strangling him until he's bloody blue in the face!

"Anything you'd like to say mija?" He smirks mockingly as he pours himself another drink.

"No." I grit out as I clench my fists behind my back.

"Good. We have a guy coming in fifteen minutes and you'll be needed down there. Five million worth of drugs disappeared in our F2-09 transit under his watch. Don't bother coming out until you've got answers." He grunts before waving me away. "Is that understood?"

"Yes." I nod but am barely able to contain my temper as my hands twitch to throw something at him or better yet, punch him.

"This is your last chance Marcella. I'm tired of you fucking up so your next mistake will end with a bullet in your head." His words make me freeze mid turn. "Leave."

I march out of the room and bump into Cameron whose eyes widen when he notices my enraged expression. He falls into step with me as I make my way towards my bedroom and I rant to him about our father. Pity flickers in his eyes once I tell him I've been demoted to interrogation duties, knowing they're my worst nightmare.

"He knows all the right buttons to push!" I snarl as I take two steps at a time to get to the living area.

"It's only for a short time Marcie. If you keep up the act you'll be back in the inner circle again and be able to provide intel to the team." Cameron reassures me and I feel the anger fade as he talks sense into me.

"Yeah, you're right." I huff and my eyes narrow when I see my mother heading my way but I brush past her as she tries to hug me.

"Marcie please..." She begs as she runs in front of me. "Please, just one hug. I've been so worried!"