18

Chapter Eighteen - Bruised

One Week Later.

I walk down the long hallway towards my father's office. I was just about to leave on another assignment when my dad requested me. I assume he wants to go over the plan and to threaten me again about what he'll do if I fail. The sound of my heeled boots hitting the floor with each step echoes in the otherwise quiet space. His guards don't spare me a glance as they open the doors to let me in. Masking my expression to one of indifference I step inside and stand before him.

"Marcella."

"You called for me?" I ask with a frown of confusion.

"Turns out that despite my many attempts to eliminate Judah Jackson...he's still alive." He drawls but his jaw and fists clenching give away how angry he is.

"Oh?" I reply in a bored tone while fighting to keep my expression schooled.

"You had no idea?" He sneers as he braces his hands on the desk while leaning into my face.

I shake my head with a shrug. "Why would I?"

"Then what the fuck is he doing sneaking into your hotel room?" He roars as he flings a few pictures onto the desk.

I gulp harshly as my eyes flicker to the photos of Judah walking out of an alleyway near the hotel, climbing in through my window on the second floor and another one zoomed in on us hugging. I remember him closing the curtains after that and relief fills me because what followed next was certainly not something I want anybody seeing.

"He took a liking to me when I was caught so I've been playing him. I know I failed you when I couldn't complete that assignment but when I found out I could use him I took my chances." I lie calmly but my poor heart races in trepidation. "I didn't know he was going to be in Mexico so his visit was a surprise even to me."

"Well?" He presses and gestures with his hand for me to go on. "Did you get anything out of him then?"

I curse mentally as I rack my brain for an answer. I never ask Judah where he's going to be next in case I give it away if I'm caught. "They're heading back into Europe. I tried to get the exact location out of him but he didn't budge. He kept saying he'll finally be near his home after months though."

"You've really been trying to eliminate him for us?" He asks softly, which surprises me, and his shoulders sag as he walks over to me. "Marcella...a lot has been going wrong mija. This makes me think you're not on my side and are working against me."

"I am on your side. I've always been papa."

He stares at me before nodding and turning to walk away. My body uncoils from its tense state before shock filters through my system when he whirls around and punches my cheek. It takes me off guard and I fall to the ground nursing it. Reminder number one, Carlos Quintana doesn't have a soft bone in his body. Reminder number two being that his hits are brutal.

He grabs me by the neck but keeps me bowed down before kneeing me in the stomach. I wheeze before shoving him off me but my eyes widen when I see the hair clip in his hands. Fuck! I think to myself in panic. I had turned it off thinking he was just going to brief me again on the assignment. His thick brows furrow in confusion before everything seems to fall in place. Wide hazel eyes identical to mine switch to narrow slits blazing with anger.

He drops it and crushes it with his feet before lunging for me. "You fucking whore! Spreading your legs for him –"

"Oh, save it!" I spit venomously as I deliver a roundhouse kick to his face before kicking his groin. "As if you haven't been cheating on mom these past few years. Like father like daughter eh?"