Dr. Park

Chapter 1

"Paging Dr. Park, you are needed at the fourth-floor east wing. Dr. Park fourth floor east wing now."

Jimin bolted from the medical resident's call room upon hearing his name being paged, clutching his copy of the latest patients' census. He wasn't done receiving endorsements from the from-duty first year floor resident but he's already being called by the consultant he's assigned to. That means he's about to go on rounds with the consultant and the Gastroenterology fellows with minimal knowledge of what happened to their patients the night before. At least he's already familiar with the old patients. It's the new patients he's worried about. He does not know anything about them. Crap!

As a second year Internal Medicine resident, Jimin is now a subspecialty rotator. Meaning, he is assigned to assist a subspecialty consultant and is responsible to seeing that consultant's patients first and reporting back to the doctor his findings and his proposed plan of management. This month he is rotating under the Gastroenterology department and is assigned to Dr. Lim.

Said doctor is in his early 60s and one of the nicest and kindest consultants in the hospital, the planet even. The soft-spoken physician gives off this fatherly vibe and is genuinely concerned with the resident's well-being, making sure that they learn a lot during their training without sacrificing their mental health. He's patient, generous with sharing his expertise, and chastises gently. The same cannot be said to a lot of the consultants in their hospital that is why Jimin is very grateful that he was assigned to Dr. Lim. It's his first day with Dr. Lim today and he was hoping to make a good impression. However, being late to morning rounds and having minimal knowledge of the cases is not the way to do it so Jimin is understandably stressed. The resident knows that Dr. Lim would never humiliate him for not being 100% prepared during patient rounds but that does not help in his anxiety.

As Jimin arrived at the nurse station of the east wing a minute later (good thing that the call room is just one floor above), he saw Dr. Lim with Dr. Kim and Dr. Jung gathering the charts needed for their morning rounds. Jimin quickly bowed and greeted them before taking the charts from Dr. Jung, the first-year fellow. The doctor smiled warmly at him while refusing to give up some of the charts he's holding.

"It's okay, Dr. Park, I got this.", Dr. Jung assured him when a red-faced Jimin protested saying that it's his job, making the group chuckle good naturedly.

"Relax, Jimin-ah. Breath.", Dr. Lim's soft voice cut through the commotion. Jimin looked up at his mentor, still embarrassed, and apologized for making a fuss. The Gastroenterologist just smiled and shook his head as he gestured for the group to proceed to the first patient's room.

"Don't worry, Dr. Park. Hoseok-ssi may look weak but he's actually pretty strong. He goes to the gym regularly and attends a dance class on his days off. So don't let his lean physique fool you. In fact, I bet he can carry you while carrying the rest of the charts with him.", Dr. Kim, the senior fellow, kidded while Dr. Jung laughed and denied the allegations.

"No, it's true. He's all muscles and no fat. Touch his arms. Go on. Feel how firm they are. And his abs are made of steel.", Dr. Kim continued, squeezing Dr. Jung's biceps while Dr. Lim asked, "Is that true, Hoseok?"

Jimin just gaped at the three. It's like he's having an out of body experience. No way these fellows have the guts to act like that in front of a consultant. It's Dr. Lim but still...

Thankfully, Dr. Jung noticed.

"Namjoon sunbae-nim, please stop it already. It's Dr. Park's first day with us. Don't scare him off. I think he's having a culture shock already."

Dr. Kim laughed and looked at Jimin, smiling.

"My apologies Dr. Park. But as a fair warning, we can get pretty silly during morning rounds. It's our way of trying to loosen up before tackling a stressful day.", the bedimpled physician kindly explained to the perplexed resident. "But that's not to say we're not serious physicians. It's just a coping mechanism. We just like to have a good work-life balance. We don't want to have premature wrinkles in our early 30s."