three

May had missed another week of school as she tried to figure out what was going on in her life. Michael had been released from the hospital three days after he woke up and she hadn't seen him since then. He found out that she was the reason behind the accident and he didn't want anything to do with her. May hated herself even more than she had in the past three months.

The person she loved, the only person she loved, didn't want anything to do with her.

May's feet dragged her to her locker, she knew her boyfriend (she didn't even know if she could call him her boyfriend, he hadn't exactly broken up with her but he wasn't exactly making an effort to talk to her) wouldn't be meeting up with her. He wouldn't be holding her hands. He wouldn't be kissing her. He wouldn't be telling her she was beautiful. He wouldn't be telling her he loved her. She still loved him so badly though.

She tugged at the sleeves of Michael's sweatshirt. She hadn't really taken it off in the past four months. He had recognized it at the hospital but didn't ask anything of it. He could tell that if he had asked for it back she would've cried even more and even though he didn't like the girl, he didn't want to see her sad.

"Hey girl, do you maybe want to come over after school to watch Netflix and eat mac and cheese? I know it's your favorite and Mom just restocked the shelf."

May turned around and saw Sara was talking to her. May nodded her head and Sara grinned.

May only talked to one person at the school and it was her new friend Sara, she had really become her lifeline while May had been visiting the hospital. Sara would drive her there everyday after school, because May hadn't even set foot into the drivers seat since the day of the accident, and made sure she had food with her to eat while there.

Sara was the only person May considered her friend at the school. She didn't talk to any of the others anymore and they seemed to give up on talking to her after two weeks of Michael being in a coma. May had truly cut off all contact with them, even going as far as blocking their numbers.

They stayed at her locker, Sara talking and May listening, until five minutes before the bell rang. Loud footsteps echoed in the hallway, bringing Sara and May out of their conversation. May recognized the sound of the footsteps as the sound of combat boots hitting the floor. She recognized it as Michael's footsteps.

She didn't think he'd be starting school so soon after the accident but yet again, she had no contact with him.

"Excuse me, you're in front of my locker," he said quietly, almost in a whisper, as if he was still getting used to the fact of being awake.

Sara realized that she was in fact in leaning on someone's locker and quickly moved out of the way.

May really hated that the last names "Clark" and "Clifford" were practically right next to each other in the alphabet. There was only one person between them and that was Willow Cleveland who wouldn't speak if her life depended on it.

May and Michael made eye contact for a brief second before he quickly looked away. May tried to hold back her tears but she felt one slide down her cheek.

"Are you okay?" Sara asked and May quickly mouthed a "no", making Sara grab her hand and drag her to the nearest bathroom.

Michael felt bad as he saw the crying girl but she had tried to kill him and he wasn't going to go after her again. He was still confused over the whole situation but he was even more confused over the fact that they allowed a near murderer into the school building.

"Deep breaths, May, deep breaths," Sara cooed as she held onto the sobbing girl. She hated seeing her like this and if she didn't know about how in love May was with Michael, she would've hated Michael.

"Can you take me home?" May asked quietly.

"No, you're stronger than that. You can't keep missing school. I promise you that you can get through the day and if you need me, I'm only a text message away. C'mon, dry your eyes and we can go to our first class," Sara soothed, she grabbed a tissue out of her backpack pocket and wiped at May's eyes. May was happy she had a friend like Sara in her life, even if it was her only friend.

They walked out of the bathroom, way past of when the bell had rang, and they saw Michael running down the hallway.

"Why is he late?" May thought but she wasn't about to go ask him. She knew he was scared of her and she hated herself for it.

May was dragged away from where she had been standing with Sara to where she had to be in her AP Stats class. She awkwardly shuffled past Luke to the new seat she had chosen next to Sara and the window.

Luke held a small frown as he saw the way May looked. He hadn't really seen her since she had missed school or she avoided them but he noticed that she had definitely changed. The girl that once was never sad now looked lifeless and she slowly floated to her chair.

They had all tried talking to Michael about May but it seemed as if he could care less about the girl that he was saying he loved not even four months ago. He wouldn't listen. Michael couldn't see how bad he was hurting May but he also didn't know the whole story. Everyone would say he wasn't the same but Michael thought he was.

May watched as the teacher started writing notes on the board and she slowly copied them, not really caring about school anymore. She didn't have a reason to care about anything anymore.

***

May slowly followed Sara, who was hopping down the steps, to her car.

"May, oh my god May, come here!"

May turned around and saw one of her friends running towards her. It was Calum. She quickly turned away, hoping to run after Sarah, but Calum managed to grab onto her hand before she could.

"Hey May, I was wondering if maybe you wanted to hang out with the old gang today after school? We miss you and we want you back," Calum whispered, he looked pleadingly into the sad girls eyes but his heart almost broke as he saw how empty her gaze seemed.

He had a small smile hoping it would pull her in and that she'd join them. They all missed her but she had seemed to shut herself off, which was understandable, but they just wanted their old friend back. Her shutting herself off from all of them wouldn't let Michael remember.

May felt herself panic, she didn't want the people that hated her to talk to her. She looked over at Sara who nodding her head 'yes' for her to hang our with them but May couldn't do it.

"Um, Cal, I'm busy," she said quietly.

Calum's smile dropped but he nodded his head slightly.

"Okay, it's fine. We miss you though! We're having a welcome back party for Michael at my house on Friday at 5 so if you want to join, you're more than welcome to," Calum said softly and May nodded her head in her confirmation.

"I'll see if I can go," she said quietly.

Calum quickly hugged her before walking back to the group that was watching from afar. May made eye contact with each of them, even Michael, before she walked back to Sara.

The problem was, they wouldn't even be having a 'welcome back' party if it weren't for May

***

HELLO LOVELIES okay so I got to update and basically I'm very tired and I'm in love with this story and yeah I'm excited to see where it'll go. I love you guys. :-)

BTW ITS _HeartbreakHemmings but I changed my user to malumwritings because all the fanfics I write have Michael or Calum as the lead boy. I had my old user for almost two years for when I started off as a Luke girl and idk it felt like time for a change. So I hope you guys like it as much as I do. I love you. Xx

~malumwritings