Crabbe and Goyle Part 1 - 18

A week later Harry spoke parseltongue at the dueling club, shocking everybody. 

While everyone gossiped, theorizing that he was the heir of Slytherin, I was freaking out wondering who what had I gotten myself, and Draco, into?

After Justin Finch-Flechtley and Nearly Headless Nick were bot petrified, my apprehension skyrocketed, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione could tell.  Days later, as students boarded the train to get leave for the holidays, they found time to approach me. We went back to the lavatory, where they convinced me that Harry had not opened the Chamber of Secrets and was trying to hoodwink me in some way. Mainly utilizing the fact that if the heir was mainly aiming to harm muggle-borns, why would he be hanging out with Hermione.

The three never told me when they were going to use the polyjuice on Draco. And as I didn't have my own copy of Moste Potente Potions, I couldn't figure out how close the potion was to being completed on the couple of occasions that I went into the bathroom. 

Christmas day came and everything started out lovely, even though I did miss my father and Narcissa. 

It was during the feast that evening that my necklace started to tingle as Draco and I ate with Crabbe and Goyle. I turned to see the three alone and talking together, and mentally braced myself.

When Draco and I got full, we left Crabbe and Goyle in the Great Hall. I couldn't look at another bite of food.

We were headed toward our common room when Draco's family owl flew through a nearby window, dropping an envelope in Draco's hands. 

We continued on down the corridor as Draco ripped it open and read the article clipping from the Daily Prophet that the Weasley's father had been fined for the enchanted car Ron and Harry had taken to school, and that Draco's father was calling for his resignation.

"How awful," I said as Draco simultaneously said, "That's funny."

Draco looked at me. "What did you say?"

I pointed at the article. "The Weasleys are already stretched thin. I can't imagine how stressed their parents must be." I also was not particularly fond of Lucius Malfoy at the moment, and I couldn't explain that without revealing the secret I was explicitly told not to tell Draco by both his parents and my father.

He huffed. "You are telling me all the time, 'follow the rules, Draco. You're breaking the rules Draco.' He broke a huge rule. He deserves the consequences."

We entered the common room. "Are you saying that because you truly believe it, or because your father said it for the paper?"

Draco stopped, turning to me. "How dare you say that to me!"

"But isn't it the truth? You seemed pretty concerned when you learned they raided Malfoy Manor last week. You just are so jealous of Harry and his friends that you like to watch them suffer."

He stared at me for a long moment. "First, defending the Granger girl, and now this? You're starting to sound like some type of blood traitor."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You better stop there Draco Malfoy, before you say something you regret."

We had a stare-off. "I'm going up to my dorm. Send Crabbe and Goyle up when they get here, will you?"

"I'll think about it," I responded pettily, as he crossed the threshold.

I spent my time lounging in the common room by myself digging into my latest Gilderoy Lockhart read by the fire. Sometime in that half hour, my necklace started tingling, which I ignored. I didn't really care if Draco was getting in trouble at this point. Besides, he was in his dorm. He couldn't get in that much trouble up there.

About a half hour passed before Draco came back from his dorm, his footsteps alerting me of his arrival. He stared at me. "Why are they not back yet?"

I simply shrugged, not looking up from my book. "Maybe they got petrified by the heir of Slytherin," I joked boredly. However in that moment, I did remember the possibility that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had taken the polyjuice potion. I worked to mask my worry.

"Real funny, Aphrodite," He said, drolly. "I'm going to go find them." He headed toward the exit to the common room.

My necklace tingled more. I groaned. "Hold on, Draco. I'll go with you."