Faking It - 38

Draco

The game was surprisingly entertaining.

Our group returned to a buzzing common room, excited to see Gryffindor lose. Flint and a few other team members were talking on one of the couches by the fire. We approached and sat across from them, eager to discuss the events of the game.

"Hufflepuff's gotten a bit stronger this year, we'll have to account for that," Flint said.

"Indeed," Aphrodite added. She was not happy to see Harry injured, but she did seem excited at the prospect of winning Slytherin winning the house cup. "Diggory's performance was impressive, despite the storm. A few of the other players have gotten quite good, too." Flint nodded in agreement.

"Diggory shouldn't be an issue," I said, leaning back against the couch. I saw out of the corner of my eye her small smile at my confidence. I tempered my reaction, but pride swelled within me.

"Perhaps we can recruit a coupled of dementors onto the team before our match with Gryffindor," Flint joked, "Should make getting the Cup this year a breeze."

I laughed, but noticed Aphry roll her eyes at the comment. I chose to ignore her reaction, as I was in too good of a mood for her nonsense.

"Seeing as he has no broom, I think that increases our odds pretty considerably," I responded. The team mates laughed at the joke. "But did you see that Nimbus hit the Whomping Willow? Absolutely dessimated it."

A warning, "Draco," tickled my ears. I ignored her yet again, and I briefly wondered why I continued to have a crush on her despite her constant nagging.

Flint also noticed and glanced over at her, but chose to ignore her just the same. "Well, it's a shame Dumbledore was able to save Potter, would have made getting the cup way easier."

Aphry gasped, "Flint, that's awful," she scolded, scooting to the edge of her seat. As if getting closer would properly chastise him. I began to grow embarrassed for her.

"It was a joke Cytheria," Flint said, clearly irritated that he was chastised by a younger student.

Not catching the hint,  Aphrodite continued. "Joking about a student dying by falling from several stories is not funny!"

Flint raised his eyebrows, and looked at me as if I needed to control the situation. I shrugged and rolled my eyes, trying to wordlessly communicate that there was nothing I could do. Flint, seeming to understand, chose not to respond to her and changed the subject. "Anyways, Malfoy. When can you get out of those bandages and onto the field?"

I looked down at my slinged arm and chuckled. "Nearly forgot I had this on." I grabbed the bit of fabric tied around my neck and pulled it over my head, taking my arm out. I stretched my bandaged arm. "Guess I should wear it a couple more days around school to not draw any suspicion."

"Wait, you don't have to be in that sling anymore?" Aphrodite, not privy to my 'exaggerations,' asked as she looked down at my obviously healed arm.

I looked at her, and the disappointment was apparent on her face. She shook her head, muttering a small, "I can't believe you," before getting up and making her way out of the common room.

I cursed, getting up to go fetch her and calm her down before she told everything to a teacher. If she went to anyone but Snape, we'd likely be disqualified for the cup, since my injury was the reason Hufflepuff played today.

It didn't take long to catch up to her. "Aphrodite," I called to her down the corridors of the dungeons. She slowed, turning around with her arms crossed.

"How long?" She asked. Rage was etched on her face. "How long should you have been out of those bandages."

I rubbed the back of my neck, "I don't know, a few weeks."

She huffed. "I felt you weren't in pain anymore. I figured Madam Promfrey had given you something for the pain. How could I have been so naive and stupid."

Wait, what? "What do you mean you felt I wasn't in pain."

She paused, as if thinking. "It doesn't matter," she spat, then looked at me. Tears brimmed her eyes now. "You know how furious your father is that you were hurt? He's on a warpath! He's could get Buckbeak killed!"

Oh, so this was all about that bloody chicken, huh. That infuriated me, and I took a couple steps to stand over her. "Seriously? That thing nearly killed me. It deserves to be killed, and you're crying for it?"

She narrowed her eyes, and a single tear spilling out. "You were told how they behaved minutes prior, and you didn't listen. Then you blamed Buckbeack, and you blamed Hagrid. But you never took any accountability. When are you going to grow up?"

"Mr. Malfoy? Ms. Cytheria?" the slow drawl of Professor Snape interrupted us as he approached. He could likely hear her shouting from his study. "Certainly there's no need for this disturbance in the corridors."

Aphrodite took a deep breath, composing herself. "Of course not, Professor. My apologies. I was just on my way to visit Harry Potter in the hospital wing. And Draco was heading back to the common room."

Snape hesitated a second, as if trying to assess the situation before looking at her. "Ms. Cytheria, I'd like to re-iterate my warning about your association with Mr. Potter. Todays events were a prime example of the type of danger Mr. Potter attracts." I couldn't help the vindicated smirk on my face.

Unable to argue with other teacher for fear of getting in trouble, she nodded curtly. "Understood, Professor." She turned around and walked off toward the corridors leading out of the dungeons.

The Professor interrupted the silence as I watched her walk away. "Despite the Cytherias'.... tempermental personalities, they happen to be extraordinarily forgiving with the right people." He looked then looked down at me. "She'll calm down. Now put that sling back on. It would be a shame if Slytherin were disqualified from the quidditch cup." With that he walked off.