Dance Lessons - 80

Aphry

The first task came and went. Each champion was tasked with stealing a gold egg from a dragon's nest. Cedric distracted his Swedish Short-snout for a bit by transfiguring a rock into a dog. Fleur Delacour put a trance on her Welsh Green. Viktor used a conjunctivitis curse on his Chinese Fireball. And Harry summoned his firebolt, luring his Hungarian Horntail away from its nest, and quickly snatching his egg.

With Harry tying with Viktor for first place, the majority of the school quickly made a full turnaround. The Potter Stinks badges were quickly discarded by pretty much all but most of the Slytherins, much to Draco's dismay.

The next event of the tournament was announced a week later.

There was quite a commotion as Slytherin's hovered around the common room bulletin board at one large announcement that dwarfed the others. On Tuesday, all Slytherins were directed to report to the great hall the period after lunch, and classes were cancelled if you had Professor Flitwick for the first block of class, Professor Sprout for the second block of classes, and Professor McGonagall for the final block of classes. In the typical Severus Snape style, there was no context for the schedule change.

After lunch on Tuesday, the Slytherins gathered in the great hall. Professor Snape whisked his wand, closing the hall doors and nearly hitting some Hufflepuff stragglers on the way out. Several laughs came from the Slytherins at the sight.

With another wave of his wand, the tables and benches levitated and arranged themselves on their sides neatly along the perimeter of the room. A single row of benches spread on each side.

"Girls to my left, boys to my right. Do not make me repeat myself." Snape said.

Daphne and I quickly scurried to the left, along with the other Slytherin girls, and we sat next to each other on one of the benches. As everyone settled, a phonograph with a comical size horn was wheeled out by Mr. Filch. The roar of movement and chatter soon settled down as Snape stood next to the phonograph, his steady glare willing every Slytherin into silence. He then made slows steps into the middle of the cleared floor as he spoke.

"The Yule Ball is one of the longest-held traditions in the history of the tri-wizard tournament, held on the evening of Christmas day.

"I expect all of you to behave in a way that esteems Hogwarts as the host school as well as Salazar Slytherin. It would also be a discredit on me to neglect to remind you on your parents' behalf that some of your ancestors have participated and even competed in past tournaments. Any act of misconduct can sully that family name."

As I watched and listened, I thought about how tiring it was holding the weight of the Cytheria name, and in some ways the Malfoy name, on my shoulders.

Snape's gaze locked onto me for a half-second, which I found odd. "Now as some of you are classically trained in the art of ballroom dancing, I am relieved of the burden of having to serve as an example to you. I imagine Professor McGonagall will have to teach a Weasley how to lead like a gentleman, seeing as they make up nearly a quarter of her students." The entire hall of Slytherins enjoyed a small laugh, including myself.

Once the laughter died down, Professor Snape said, "Cytheria, Malfoy, please join me in the centre of the room."

What does he think he's doing? I asked myself. These students will find any way they can to read into this.

Draco, standing at the back row of boys, pushed Crabbe and Goyle aside roughly at the shoulders to step over the bench between them. He met me in the middle of the room, wearing his brown-nosing-the-teacher smile. We both stood side by side, looking at Professor Snape for further direction.

"Mr. Malfoy, if you would, please show your classmates how a gentleman should ask a lady to dance by asking Miss Cytheria. Miss Cytheria, I would like you to accept."

The two of us turned to each other. Draco's smile transitioned to the most charming one he could muster. I knew he didn't have to try very hard at all. He bowed slightly, holding his hand out to me. "Miss Cytheria, would you do me the honour of joining me for a dance?"

I placed my hand in his, bending my knees slightly and bowing my head in a gentle curtsy. "It would be my pleasure, Mr. Malfoy." His smile changed ever so slightly then, though I couldn't discern why.

The girls' side of the room sighed, and I willed them in my head to think nothing of it. I didn't want to think of Dimitri's reaction if any hint of this got back to him.

The professor then said, "A gentleman would then guide his dance partner to an empty spot on the dance floor. He'd then face his partner, and place his hand lightly on his partner's waist. Her hand will go to his shoulder. Mr. Malfoy, Miss Cytheria, if you'll demonstrate please."

Draco took a step toward me, and we did as Professor Snape asked, keeping a proper distance from each other. Why does he have to be so handsome when he's being a gentleman, I asked myself woefully, willing away the extremely inappropriate feelings that I was having seeing as I was betrothed to another.

The music started, and I identified it as a traditional Waltz slowed down so the other students could watch our steps. Draco began leading me in slow, gentle circles around the open area. Although slower, it was as routine as breathing for us at this point, especially being partners for lessons from an early age.

Snape pointed out our form, the steps that we were taking, and other attributes that he wanted our fellow Slytherins to exemplify. Then, he instructed everyone to take a partner. "Malfoy, Cytheria, please stay with each other so the other students have an example."

The slow music played for a few minutes as everybody learned the steps. When the song was adjusted to playing its normal speed, our dancing only got smoother as we floated across the room. Draco gracefully and expertly guided us away from the other couples. I finally remembered why I loved ballroom dancing so much and allowed myself to enjoy it. A light smile came to my face as I looked at Draco.

Others were not having as pleasant of a time. Severus Snape corrected those around us. "Miss Parkinson, please mind your posture. You look like one of those trolls that loiter around bridges to steal from muggles."

"Mr. Goyle, you are supposed to lead Miss Bulstrode. Not the other way around."

"Adrian Pucey, please keep your partner at a respectable distance. I don't believe I could fit the handle of a broomstick between the two of you."

I laughed, listening to my godfather's chiding. Suddenly, my necklace warmed up, which surprised me. I honestly thought the first time was a fluke. Besides, It was after Harry had insulted my mother. I was so upset, that I had no time to explore its meaning.

Draco held nothing but a pleased smirk. "Is everything alright, Draco?" I asked, schooling my expression to keep him from suspicion.

The warm sensation vanished, and Draco furrow his brow in confusion. "Of course, why wouldn't it be?"

I shook my head, not being able to explore what the warm feeling meant now that it was gone. "No reason," I said.

❈❀❀❈❀❀❈

Author's Note: Hi guys! Long time, no author's note? So, you've made it this far? What are your thoughts?