The Twin- 147

Aphry

I was hoping the earring ruse would work to clear me of any suspicion that I'd found that the cabinet was hidden in the room from Snape. The plan was to 'accidentally' come upon it, so I intentionally dropped the earring in the hallway and didn't say anything until we had passed the wall and already completed one pass. 

Draco was incredibly irritated when I stopped him, but I'd hoped I could stall him for just long enough to get the door to appear.

Backtracking, I made an act out of looking for the earring, even though I passed by it exactly where I had dropped it to complete my second pass.

Thankfully, access to the room only required three passes, as Draco had truly had enough of my feigned foolishness by the final one, summoning the earring with the most basic of charms and scolding me for not having done the same sooner.

"Now let's..." the roar of the opening door interrupted him. I worked to control the sigh of relief, instead molding my expression into the same surprised one he wore. "The Room of Requirement...," he said, "I nearly forgot."

"We should check it," I said. I turned my head to the side to look at him. "Leave no stone unturned?"

He nodded in agreement, then walked to the door and put his hands on the handle. He opened the door, looked in, then looked back at me, directing me to go in ahead of him.

When I walked in, 'cluttered' was an understated way to describe the room. There were mountains of damaged furniture and other various items strewn about. Thank goodness there seemed to be some sort of path to follow.

I heard the door click shut behind me, and shortly after felt Draco's presence behind my left shoulder.

"How did Potter's crowd practice in here last year?" I queried out loud.

"It didn't look like this," he responded. "It was majorly empty except for what they seemed to be using. Practice dummies and the like. But... this seems like probably centuries of junk."

"Perhaps the room changes to the person's needs?" I offered dumbly as if I wasn't already told by Draco's new nemesis professor earlier. "It doesn't surprise me that Hogwarts needs junk storage of some type."

Draco gave a raised brow and a nod, accepting the possibility. He sighed and put his hands on his hips, looking at the vast expanse of the endless feeling room. "But if it's in here, it might take ages to find it."

He was right, but I was hoping that wasn't going to be our reality. "Maybe since it's been moved recently compared to some of these things, it won't be terribly hard to find. At least we've seen its pair and know what we are looking out for." I looked at my watch. "We should have a bit of time before we're suspiciously later for dinner."

Nodding in agreement, he turned to me, "Well, I guess that we should start."

We followed the only visible patch of floor, carefully inspecting the piles of rubbish that we passed. Soon we were in the midst of the labyrinth the discarded items had created. The door was not visible, but neither was our desired prize.

As we headed deeper and deeper into the void of the room, we stayed completely silent. Both of us were concentrating on the task at hand, and neither of us wished to distract the other.

The back wall of the room, which I honestly wasn't sure existed until I laid eyes on it, became visible. My heart beat hard against my chest. I started to have doubts about what the Professor had told me.

Soon we reached the back wall, finding nothing.

He sighed, "It's not here." His voice was flat and dejected. I let out an exhale, deflating alongside him, hoping that surely my godfather was simply mistaken as opposed to directly misleading me.