Revelation - 51

We silently made our way out of the hospital wing and through the corridors. My heart beat inside my chest, knowing that no good for me was coming out of this conversation. I thought about how undoubtedly, after my conversation with Snape, an owl would be sent to my father. And he would no doubt be angry, due to concern over my well-being.

To be honest, I understood. I finally understood the warnings about Harry. Despite his kindness, Harry Potter had a mark on him... no pun intended. The dark dregs of the wizarding world seemed to be attracted to him like magnets.

Tonight was unbelievably terrifying, on multiple accounts with a convicted (though innocent) killer, a killer who had been running free for ages, and a werewolf who didn't even recognize his best friend and ended up hurting them. I'd received a front row seat to all of it, and, to be frank, I'd rather not do that again.

We finally entered the dungeons, and my sense of dread at the incoming lecture increased. Snape lead me to his office, then opened the door, gesturing for me to go in ahead of him. I did so wordlessly, taking one of the seats in front of his desk as I was briefly reminded of the last time I was in here with Lucius.

He slammed his office door, then walk around to his side of the desk with his black robes billowing behind him dramatically. He placed his hands on the desk, and that hard, pointed gaze pierced through me once again. His voice was stern as he spoke. "What you have participated in tonight was incredibly foolish."

I wasn't surprised that I wasn't allowed an opportunity to explain myself, but I was angry nonetheless. Normally I would not have spoken back to anyone in such a position of authority, but tonight was different. I had come face to face with danger, and mentally I was far removed from my comfortable world of formality and properness.

I sat upright and defended myself. "It was an accident! I went down with them to visit Hagrid, and the next thing I know Ron's rat had bitten him, and then a dog. I didn't realize what was going on until it was too late and I came face to face with Black!"

"You have been instructed explicitly not to associate with Harry Potter."

I scoffed, pushing myself to the edge of the chair. "Mainly by Draco and you, both of who seem to have an unreasonable hatred toward him. Was it really any wonder I paid little heed to your warnings?"

"You gave us your word."

I stood, "I said I'd be careful." I took a step behind the chairs and began to pace the study. My tone turned to bitter sarcasm. "So sorry, I missed the part where Harry said, 'Aphry, we're going for a spot of tea at Hagrid's, then maybe have a run-in with an Azkaban escapee. Would you care to join us?' Because I certainly would have told him no!"

Professor Snape leaned over his desk further, his eyes following me as I paced. "Mind your attitude, miss. You do not understand the seriousness of this situation!"

"I fully understand. I lived through it! I feared for my life multiple times tonight!"

He straightened. "Good. Keep that fear. Because the last innocent, young girl that put their trust in the hands of a Potter died." He enhanced the final word by slamming his fist again his desk.

I halted in my place, shocked by the statement. I crossed my arms and avoided his gaze by looking at the floor. My jaw clenched, as my anger had yet to subside.

There was a small moment of silence before he spoke again. He faced the wall away from me, his tone still harsh. "I was with your father the day your mother died, Aphrodite. I'm sure you remember. I came as soon as I got the owl."

I certainly wasn't expecting to relive this today. Emotion overcame me as tears started to prickle my eyes.

"Your father loved your mother. Deeply. He lost a part of his soul that day." A single tear escaped as I recalled my father's subtle but noticeable change after her death. "If it weren't for you, Aphrodite, he wouldn't care if he lived or died... That's why I so readily agreed to be your godfather."

I scoffed, wiping another tear. That can't possibly be true. "My godfather is Lucius Malfoy," I told him confidently.

He turned back to me, staring me down. "And what, pray tell, should happen to you if Lucius and your father's death coincided?" I look up at him. Does he know? "Yes, I know about the link between Lucius and your father. Draco and you, too... Your father needed a contingency plan should the worst happen." 

"And why has my father never told me?" I asked, clearly in denial.

"Lucius Malfoy wouldn't tolerate it. He insisted on being your godfather to ensure that it would raise no suspicion about your father being a defensor. Your father assumed Lucius would think having two godfathers would also raise suspicion."

A few quick raps on the door interrupted us. Snape looked at the door, then to me, then back at the door. "Enter," he said, a cool drawl concealing the ire that he had previously exhibited.