Chapter Twenty Seven

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  S E V E N

In Loving Memory

I can't believe this was real.

My heart fucking hurts so badly that I just couldn't see straight. My babies had lost an uncle and damn near lost an aunt to the bullshit. This madness had to end.

"Mom, I'm sorry. I promise it wasn't supposed to happen like this," I cried wiping away my tears as I sat before my mother.

She was wiping at her own tears as well but her focus was split between her grand babies that she had yet to meet and the fact that her first born son was to be put to rest in a couple of days. I felt worse knowing that this tragedy was the first time that she would meet my new family. It wasn't a good look.

"Can you at least explain some of this?", she asked.

I shook my head.

"I can't...", I felt my voice tremble. "I can't speak on that."

"This is my son, Alexis! Tell me what the Hell happened."

I didn't give her anymore of my attention as I moved to take care of the babies who were now whining softly. She didn't need to know that her son was here to kill her daughter just a few days ago. And she didn't need to know that I was married because of a dumb thing her son did years ago. She didn't need to know anything because while she was off living life, her children were astray.

"You drop out of school! Move to this small ass town and you're hiding secrets. When were you going to tell me that I was a grandmother?!"

"Drop the tone, mother... Let me feed my babies and I'll talk to you once they're settled," I finally just gave in.

<><><>

I whispered softly to Josiah as he glanced up at me with his pretty eyes. He had a one hand clutch on my breast as I let him drink until he was full. His baby sister, KayKay, was tired and already curled up in the bassinet near me.

"I've waited for this moment and now that it's here... it's so bittersweet," my mother interrupted the moment.

I glanced up to find her completely in awe at the baby's nursery and even more my babies who were the main reason this room existed. She came closer to peek in at Kaylani as she slept peacefully. Her hands itched to pick up the tiny girl.

"Alexis, why didn't you tell me?"

I gave Josiah's hand a kiss before I lifted him off my breast which was a bit of a challenge because he wasn't done despite his eyelids slowly closing. I laid him down next to his sister and pulled myself together.

"Which part?", I offered as I stood up and gestured for us to leave the room.

We left the nursery and made it back to the living room. I gestured to the room before I let her settle into a seat. Some parts of this story I was going to leave out but the most important parts were staying with less detail.

"Why am I burying your brother 3 years into your dad's retirement?", she asked straight up.

"Because he wasn't smart. He chose to engage in things that didn't serve a decent purpose. We've been trying to give you and Dad space. I didn't think you'd want to know about the fuck ups that we've been getting ourselves into," I basically gave her what I could.

The truth would hurt her more than anything. I could only tell her so much because right now I just wanted to lay my brother to rest and let my mother enjoy meeting her grandbabies. I know it wasn't fair to me to just let this trauma build but it was better to forgive and forget than hurt my mother over this whole situation.

"So where is your husband?", my mom asked as she pointed to the ring on my finger and noticed the family photos that I had gathered and placed on the wall.

I smiled sadly before offering her a drink.

She would need one after this discussion.

| |

Stasi hugged me from the side as they laid my brother's casket into the ground. She hated him for hurting her sister but she knew what it was like to lose someone you truly loved. She was my support while my husband was still in prison and knowing her sister was going to be okay made her feel a little better about standing at my side.

"Why your Mom staring at you like that?", Stasi asked as most of the family threw in their red roses as friends and distant family were only allowed to throw in yellow roses. "Looks like she's scared."

"My father is pissed and he's decided to get to the bottom of my brother's murder before he leaves. I told her what happened but I didn't tell her who killed him," I responded staring ahead ignoring the glare that my father had sent in my direction.

We had spoke but it was short and clipped like he didn't really believe anything coming out of my mouth but I was the only one able to give him some sort of answer. He seemed deeply disturbed but I was more so traumatized with my fucking brother coming into my home threatening not only to kill my twin babies but myself.

My mother understood my first priority was to protect my babies, but my father had yet to hear my side of the story.

"So while we have some work to do with running off Damon Pope, I also have to find a way to keep your father out of our business? This is about to get a whole lot worse before it gets better."

"Fuck my life..."