𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹: 𝙰𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚂𝚊𝚍𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜

I felt the hard and cold gravel underneath me, biting into me where I stood and the cool September breeze against my thin pajamas

I was at a football pitch—well behind it to be exact. There was little light coming from the pitch that helped me see my surroundings.

My eyes adjusted to the night's darkness and I looked around. I realized I was not alone.

The starlight gave away to two shadows in the distance facing each other.

From a distance it seemed to be a fierce argument.

Curious, I slowly walked towards them. It was a bad idea but I couldn't stop myself. The closer I got the more I could hear them. Their voices were a little distorted but enough for me to understand.

I was trying to be cautious when I felt myself step on a twig.

Snap.

I paused.

Looking up to make sure they hadn't seen me.

They hadn't.

I looked back down at the twig to see it was intact. I had imagined it breaking. I stepped over it again.

To my surprise, my feet went right through it.

Strange.

Taking in a deep breath, I bravely stepped towards the men. I walked in between them and waved my hands in front of their blurry faces.

No response.

I breathed out in relief and focused my attention on their conversation.

"—Who's pretending?" The one facing towards me said.

"Then kill me."

"Well, I'm...I'm tempted"

"No, you're not. You've had lifetimes to do it, and yet, here I am. I'm still alive. And there you are. You're still haunting me. After 145 years. Katherine is dead. And you hate me because you loved her, and you torture me because you still do. And that, my brother, is your humanity."

145 years?

Katherine?

I was so confused but I knew one thing for certain. They were definitely vampires. I mean no normal human could live up to 145 and still sound that young. I could only think of two people that fit their description.

"Salvatore! What the hell? We've got a game to play!" I heard another voice interrupt.

There was only one Salvatore I could think off from the top of my head and one game that was coming up. But Stefan wasn't part of the school football team. At least I knew he wasn't. I tilted my head confused, looking at the newcomer.