𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟷: 𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚐𝚘𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚍...

21st April 2009, Start of Spring Break

"Can you believe Brook? She's so—ugh." Hanna complained as she pushed back her honey blonde hair back. "Ava! You better be listening, not thinking about you-know-who." She laughed after she said it and ran off somewhere.

Rolling my eyes, I turned off the engine and took out the keys. I got out and picked up the bags, putting Hanna's bag on the hard floor of the parking lot.

Hanna had gone and disappeared. I knew she would come back. She always did. I shivered a little as cool spring air caressed my half-exposed shoulders. Carefully, I pulled my denim jacket over my exposed shoulders and pulled at the sleeves.

From the parking lot of the woods, I could see the branches of nearby trees swaying in the breeze as it invited us into the deep woods. The skies were clear and blue with white clouds, gently gliding across the sky.

I breathed out and breathed in the woodsy smell of the woods. Hanna was right, this wasn't about Isaac. This was about having the best spring break I could have with Hanna and everyone before I went back to Mystic Falls.

I swung my red backpack over my shoulders and then walked over to the back of the campervan to check for the tent. There was no tent.

"Oh my gosh. You're still here?! We're supposed to be swimming on the lake by now or grilling up some hotdogs' on the barbecue or y'know what I mean." Hanna stomped over to me and grabbed my hands, ready to drag me away again. "Everyone's waiting for—oh, right. Bags. I totally forgot."

"Of course you did. You scatter-brained goat." A sarcastic voice drawled out.

I huffed and turned to glance at June. Her short copper hair was pushed back with a bright crimson hair band as she twirled a loose strand of her hair while she walked over to us and rolled her eyes. 

"June, be nice." I checked her outfit out. She looked cute but seriously a plaid skirt with a red cardigan on a camping trip. "Love your outfit but we're here to camp. Not audition for 'Heathers'." I remarked with a grin.

She snorted and picked up her bag from the trunk, closing it after she did so. "It's for my aesthetic. Obviously. Although, I don't mind channeling Heather C." She checked her nails and shrugged.

"Aesthetic? Seriously." August appeared from behind June. He stood behind his twin with his hands on his hips. June turned around and stuck out her tongue. I laughed watching the twins bicker.

"Just don't cry when you trip and scrape your knees or something." He turned his gaze back to me and Hanna. He breathed out and smiled, waving at us. "Hey, Ava." He grinned as a light blush spread across his face. He turned away from me to glance at Hanna. "Hanna."

Hanna, June and I shared a look before I rolled my eyes and decided to break the silence. "There's no tents. Are we staying at a cabin or are we gonna build our own shelter?" I teased August as he ran his fingers through his ash blonde hair.