𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙵𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚢 𝙹𝚎𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚜

Light flooded the dark room

Light flooded the dark room. It took some time to get readjusted to the light.

Dust covered the whole room. I looked around the old master room turned storage with its wood paneled walls and gray marble floors.

The room hadn't been used since the flooring was changed in the 20s. It was part of the old Fitzroy house before the renovation made the house into the manor it is now.

White cloths covered in dust engulfed the furniture. The queen bed, unused for almost more than half a century, lay in the center.

Chairs and tables all lay haphazardly along with other old paraphernalia, my family hadn't used in a long time.

Glancing around the wreck of the room, I quickly got to finding the artifact, Mom had sent me here for.

It was an old necklace from the civil war era. A simple necklace in gold with a bloodstone in the center of the pendent with some elaborate vine metal work surrounding the stone.

The Lockwoods had asked for that particular necklace for a short term loan to the Lockwoods and the Council along with an antique 16th century music box and a gold hand mirror decorated with gilded gold flowers.

Both the music box and hand mirror were already in the living room, cleaned and packed in a wooden box to be handed to the Lockwoods as they were actually part of the list of items to be loaned. They were easy to find, they were more in use and more displayed by my family in the library. The necklace, however, had not been seen by anyone in over half a century.

My uncle along with my parents and I had all but turned our house upside down looking for this stupid necklace. I was this close to giving up and having Mom apologize to Carol.

I almost felt sorry for my parents, they only came back to comfort me about discovering Tanner's dead body but somehow they both got roped into helping the council for the short time they would be here.

I draped the cloth back on the night tables and the bed and finally decided to look for the dressing table. I was really trying to avoid going to the dressing table. It was in a far corner of the huge room covered in cobwebs and dust.

Ducking and crawling to get through the various furniture in the way, I stood in front of the dressing table.

With a flourish, I pulled the dirty white fabric off the dressing table. Dust flew everywhere, making me sneeze and my eyes water.

This necklace better be worth it.

I took a step back and observed the dressing table. There was a drawer in the center, with six smaller ones on each side.

An oval shaped mirror, covered in a light layer of dust.

The frame has an intricate design of vines and flowers. This family really was obsessed with nature.