𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹𝟹: 𝙹𝚘𝚔𝚎'𝚜 𝙾𝚗 𝚈𝚘𝚞

The halls of Mystic Falls High were strangely empty that morning as I stood over my locker, looking in

The halls of Mystic Falls High were strangely empty that morning as I stood over my locker, looking in. I wasn't scared of being alone, in fact, I preferred it most days. It helped me think about the past few days.

Without thinking, I banged my head against the locker.

What was I thinking?

I knew Damon was a little unstable with Rose's death but I could've something else. Stupid. Stupid Ava. I was starting to think I was not in fact the smart one in this little group. Maybe I was the hypocrite. I told him I hated him for what he did to my friends and only to go and kiss him.

When I told Caroline, she laughed in my face before telling me how stupid I was. I know, Care. She didn't have to be so blunt but at least I wasn't alone. She was also struggling with the fact that both Matt and Tyler had kissed her. I laughed before I showed my concern—I wasn't really in the place to be laughing.

Maybe I was out of my mind. Ugh. I picked up my head and stared into the mirror attached to my locker, fixing my messy hair. I froze and the few lights above me started to flicker. In the reflection, I saw my eyes turn into a pale gold as the flickering got worse.

"Easy there, sunshine." When I heard Damon's voice, the flickering stopped. "It's me."

I sighed and blinked, my eyes returning to normal as I slammed the locker shut and turned around. "Jeez Damon, give me a warning next time." I lightly punched his arm and walked past him.

"You see I didn't think a living vampire detector needed a warning."

"There's like at least five to six vampires in town so spare me the lecture."

"Point taken." I heard his footsteps quicken as he rushed to keep up with me. I moved quickly, with a bunch of flyers for the photography club's exhibition and stuck on boards. "Listen, we need to talk."

"About? If you say 'us', I will ignore you."

"Oh, we need to talk about that too." Inwardly I cursed myself for being the person who brought it up. Of course, I brought it up—it was all I could think about. I wasn't going to tell him that.

"No, I'd rather we don't."

"But I rather we do. You kissed—"

I dropped the flyers on a nearby table and rushed to cover his mouth. "Don't. Don't say it outloud." I gave him a look of warning and carefully took my hand off his mouth. "It happened, that's all."

"That's all? Ouch. Is this what it feels like to be used?"

"Oh look, you have some self-awareness after all." I said with a bright sarcastic smile and picked up the flyers again.

"Okay, I get it, I'm a dick." I snorted at his comments and busied myself pinning posters. "But I'm trying to be a good person." He said, snaking arm around my waist and pulling me closer.