𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟹: 𝙿𝚘𝚒𝚜𝚘𝚗𝚎𝚍 𝙵𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚁𝚘𝚘𝚝𝚜

Unknown, September 1864,

"Stop the carriage." Theodore, Lydia's cousin commanded and he leaned closer to the window.

The carriage halted to a stop. A mixture of confusion and fear spread across Lydia's face. She stared at Edmund and Theodore with wide eyes. "Why are we stopping here?" She asked them with some hesitation.

Her brother groaned in response and shook his head. "I don't know, Lia."

"...I saw something." Theodore replied quietly as he armed himself with a rifle. He loaded it up with wooden bullets before he swung open the door of the carriage and gestured to them to follow him.

Edmund ran his fingers through his hair before carefully taking out a strange and unfamiliar device that seemed to be roughly the size of his wrist. He secured the watch-like device quickly onto his wrist and loaded it up with some wooden bullets before he passed the bow at his feet to Lydia for her safety. He followed after Theodore.

Not wanting to stay behind, Lydia picked up the bow that Edmund had passed to her and slung it over her shoulder, being sure to carry some arrows as well. Silently, she counted the arrows in the quiver, letting her fingers trace over the marking on it. The Fitzroy family crest delicately marked all of the arrows.

She nodded to herself for courage and stepped out of the carriage. The driver stood guarding the carriage with an ax in his hand. He nodded in a silent greeting before leading her to the men that had disappeared into the woods..

Off the path where they had stopped their carriage, another was overturned and abandoned. Edmund gestured for them to a stop as he carefully inspected the insides. He disappeared inside the carriage and Lydia held her breath, silently praying for her brother's safety.

On the side, Theodore kept watch.

"I found something." Edmund called out. They all rushed to where he was and stared at the spot on the steps of the carriage.

It was barely illuminated by the pale moonlight but from a slight iron-like stench he could tell it was blood.

Lydia looked around, starting to panic as she brought her weapon forward. She could barely hear her brother share his findings over her deafening thoughts but she managed to give a small nod in response.

Theodore looked off to the distance into the woods that the path led to. His sharp eyes narrowed as he focused on that single spot.

"Over there!" He harshly whispered to us before breaking into a sprint towards the direction where he had kept watch over.

Dead leaves crunched beneath Lydia's feet as she tread through the deep and dark forest. Taking each step in a measured and controlled manner, they reached a clearing.