𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟼: 𝚂𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

The intense heat from the flames made my skin feel as if it was slowly peeling off

The intense heat from the flames made my skin feel as if it was slowly peeling off. Everywhere I looked there was fire. Breathing in and out, I tried to calm myself, trying to tell myself that this wasn't real. This wasn't happening but I couldn't calm down. The heat from the flames felt suffocating. It felt real.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

I counted in my head, trying to focus on myself. I kept counting from one to ten, back and forth. Slowly, I peeled my eyes open. The fire was raging and it surrounded me. But it wasn't the only thing surrounding me.

All around where I stood were people on the floor, some passed out due to the fire or some unknown cause. And some were clutching their heads in immense pain. The screams of anguish rang through the air intertwining with the smoke from the fire.

Plucking up my courage, I walked to the men closest to me. One lay on his front side down, weakly gasping , his face blurred by the heat. The other was leaning against a pillar of concrete, clutching his head, dressed in a suit. Breathing out harshly, I crept closer...

Riiiiiiing. Riiiiiiing. Riiiiiiing.

I woke up with a sharp gasp, my lungs desperately gasping for air. My sheets were drenched in sweat. I threw them off me and turned to look at myself in the dressing table mirror, facing my bed. I looked horrible. Sweat-drenched hair, stuck to my face and neck in a messy way. My pajamas stuck to my body as well.

Riiiiiiing.

The incessant phone rings broke my train of thought. Annoyed, I stretched over to my bedside table and picked up my phone. Elena. Her name flashed on the screen, the minute, I flipped my phone open. The light from the phone illuminated my face. I squinted my sleep-filled eyes at my phone.

3 missed calls.

I groaned and prepared to call back when she called again. I tilted my head in confusion. It was 2 am in the morning according to my phone. What would be so important for Elena to call me this early in the morning. Lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice that her fourth call ended. I cursed myself for being this tired. Groggily, I tried getting up from my bed but fell down when my leg got caught up in my blanket. I breathed out, tiredly. It was too early for me.

With my eyes half closed, I tried to instead just stretch over and turn on my night lamp. I flicked my lamp on, light seeping out. With a tired sigh, I fully opened my eyes and stretched out my hands. The light, moving as I did so. My eyes widened as I quickly brought my hands in front of my face.

My palms were glowing like the sun or a star. A combination of light blue, sunshine yellow and white almost made me as I stared at it with widened eyes.

Now awake, I wiggled my fingers and shook my hands. The light would go out and come back when I opened my palms. I concentrated hard, shutting my sleepless eyes, willing the light to go. I was plunged into the darkness once again as the glow disappeared from my palms.